Unfiltered Apple Juice-Will it eventually clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattyM

Reaction score
I used Costco unfiltered apple juice to make some Cherry Apple Cider. It's been a week since pitching Motrachet yeast. It's gone from 1.081 to 1.002. I racked it on to sulfite and Sorbate and want to back sweeten. Will this clear on its own in a couple weeks? Should I back sweeten now or wait for it to clear?

It will clear in a few weeks. I usually let mine go for a month or two. 1 month primary and one month or more in secondary.

Thanks Mojzis for the reply. I was afraid that using the unfiltered juice might have been a mistake. I've made Apfelwein before but the juice I used for that was clear. This time Costco only had the unfiltered type. It's a really nice flavor juice though.

Ive used fresh pressed cider, dark brown and murky looking. It still cleared like filtered apple juice. I think it added more flavor, too.

Thanks MarkKF. It's been 24 hours since I racked it on to the sulfite and Sorbate. FG still at 1.002. Should I let it clear before back sweetening or add it now and then let it clear? I want to bottle still at about 1.015.

I've never backsweetened so I can't help you there. I always use pectin enzyme now and prefer unpasteurized or UV pasteurized fresh pressed juice.

Gelatin work nice to aid in clearing. J put like 1/4 tsp pr so per gallon in a pot or cool water for an hour then bring to a fast boil to dissolr and let cool. Then add. Will notice it starting to clear within 24 hrs. Works well

I used an unfiltered juice for one of my ciders and I used sparkolloid powder when I transferred to secondary and it came out crystal clear like it had been filtered. Sparkolloid works very well for clearing hazy beers.

Back