Swords

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Watch this. Que sword ad banner. :p

Talk to me. What's a place to get a real sword? One that can be used like a sword. A real hack and slasher. Full tang and nice but not too fancy.

Talk to a blacksmith that makes knives. Will cost a bit, but will get exactly what you want.
If you want a nice, decorated leather sheath to go with it, see a leatherworker.

But will your shword be as long as mine?!

0.jpg

Don't buy anything from Cold Steel. Well, you can, but it will be a facsimile of a real sword at best.

An honest to goodness real live sword will cost you. You can have them made to order or buy one somebody built on speculation. The price will be high, but remember that the smith will have months of work in the blade and furniture. I forge knives and have never made a sword. I'm working on a naval cutlass, which will be my first. Same idea as a knife, but bigger and with its own set of difficulties as far as heat treating and such.

Check out http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?act=idx , and go to the for sale section. Depending on what you're looking for, you just might find what you want. There are some wonderful bladesmiths there. Owen Bush might just be the best of them, but there are many others.

Happy hunting!

I saw a sword maker at a ren faire few years back. They quality of his stuff was far and above the imported junk that most of the vendors sell. He was actually making swords and knives at his booth. He had previously crafted swords for show and sell too. He made pretty much the whole thing.

He could lean the swords up against a log and stand and bounce on them and the just flexed right back straight. They were so beautiful and the cheap plain swords were hundreds of dollars.

Cold Steel makes some neat stuff. I have some of their stuff. It's like really nice homemade weapons.

This is my homemade beat stick. Stainless steel rod, 24" long and wrapped in jute twine dipped in paint to hold it together as a hand grip.

24 to a max of 36 inches would be a good sword length for me. Maybe 27-30 inches.

rod.jpg

http://www.swords-n-stuff.com

A lot of their swords are kinda junky replica stuff, but the plain janers are usually carbon steel. Their prices are cheap too. Otherwise I would try to buy from a real deal blacksmith at a ren faire or medieval store.

Watch this. Que sword ad banner. :p

Talk to me. What's a place to get a real sword? One that can be used like a sword. A real hack and slasher. Full tang and nice but not too fancy.

Google "Hand Forged Swords" and be selective.

I dunno about the fairs. Brother used to be in the mix at several of those and while many of them do know how to make a lot of that stuff, they also know where to order the cheaper bulk produced stuff too.

Your best bet is to find a true blacksmith and commission the one you want.

My previous shop foreman has made some great knives. He even made a fillet knife, thin and flexible, like it should be. He definitely knows what he is doing. He has not made any swords though.

Chevettegirl on Gotmead makes chainmail and leather armor with her husband. She might be able to point you in a few directions...

Look up videos for Cold Steel. They make swords. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the videos.

Nothing like smashing skulls to get me to buy something.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

What do you want this for??

To defend the couch from code monkies?;)

Wanting is really enough reason. Swords are cool. Swords should be an acceptable tool to be carried by every person.

It's pretty silly to have a law against carrying a piece of metal. It's not a machine. It has no moving parts. It doesn't shoot anything. People have been using them for a really long ass time. You don't hear about ye olde anybody pulling a sword by and killing a 2-year-old little girl.

Wanting is really enough reason. Swords are cool. Swords should be an acceptable tool to be carried by every person.

It's pretty silly to have a law against carrying a piece of metal. It's not a machine. It has no moving parts. It doesn't shoot anything. People have been using them for a really long ass time. You don't hear about ye olde anybody pulling a sword by and killing a 2-year-old little girl.

Not a two year-old, but:

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-24/...-apartment-miss-brea-martial-arts?_s=PM:CRIME; or

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286414/Mother-stabbed-death-sword-terrified-children.html.

Or going "postal" with a sword: http://murderpedia.org/male.H/h/harris-joseph-m.htm.

Troo nuff. I was impressed. More so by it being done all redneck style instead of clinical. That looked like some stuff drunken HBTers would do with a sword. :drunk:

But there's still the risk the viewer walks away thinking, well, that sword broke. Yeah it broke. Damn Jersey barriers are tough. They stop cars and bullets. Wasn't that dude who ran amuck in tank stopped by a jersey barrier?

The Ferrous Wolf looks close to what I want.

Zuljin said:
Troo nuff. I was impressed. More so by it being done all redneck style instead of clinical. That looked like some stuff drunken HBTers would do with a sword. :drunk:

But there's still the risk the viewer walks away thinking, well, that sword broke. Yeah it broke. Damn Jersey barriers are tough. They stop cars and bullets. Wasn't that dude who ran amuck in tank stopped by a jersey barrier?

The Ferrous Wolf looks close to what I want.

Yeah, that is some different sort of concrete. It's neat how they built the two stage angle into it and how it works. I have no doubt they would stop most bullets. I do believe the tank was high centered on some jersey barriers.

Latest posts

Back