Irish Ale yeast in an IPA? (WLP004)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADL

Reaction score
I wanted to make an IPA for my next beer, I love strong citrusy IPAs and hear great things about Dog Fish Heads 90 minute IPA (can't get it here in Canada :(). So I was planning on following a clone recipe for it.

One thing I noticed when tallying up the price of all the ingredients is that it isn't gonna be cheap, the hops alone are gonna cost me nearly $20! When you add in the rest of the ingredients the bill is getting over $70.

I was looking for a way to cut costs down a bit and thought maybe I could save $10 if I dump it on the leftover cake when I bottle my irish stout. Would using Irish ale yeast instead of British ale yeast make a huge difference? How would it change the beer?

Also Amarillo hops seem to be very expensive at my LHBS but Cascade aren't. Would substituting for cascade hops be a bad idea?

If you could get 90 minute IPA in Canada then you would see that it sells in 4 packs for $12-$14. So when you can make 5 gallons for $70 it doesn't seem so bad. I would highly recommend getting "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer. Great book with a wealth of information. Pretty much will be able to answer most of your questions.
Cheers!

I'm back after a long hiatus away from this forum...and I am far from expert...I found your thread by searching on the same topic, wondering if anybody else brews IPAs with Irish Ale yeast.

I have made about five batches of a clone seeking to emulate Harpoon IPA (Boston and Vermont). This isn't nearly as hoppy or complex as Dogfish 90-minute. But I make it with an Irish Ale yeast and love the flavor profile I get (as you suggest--nice citrus). 90-minute also has a nice malty mouth feel, and I get that (in fact, perhaps too much) in my Irish Ale fermented IPA.

I ferment in a plastic pail without racking to secondary. I have heard from my LHBS that Irish tends towards diacetyl flavors, but this can be mitigated somewhat by NOT racking to secondary but instead letting the fermentation finish on the sediment.

In any event, I really do love the flavor I get from Irish Ale yeast, and plan to continue using it.

I recently discovered Hop Head Red IPA, which is a strong IPA with an Irish Red flavor. I am making a batch as we speak using Beer Smith's recipe which uses the Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004). Fermentation started quick and was the first batch I have made with my 7 gallon conical fermenter to almost blow off the air lock (had to go to a blow off tube). In addition, this is the first batch I have made with very low floccuation. I typically drain off the bottom on days 3, 5 and 7 and with some batches, the bottom valve is pretty clogged with trub/yeast that is the consistency of toothpaste. Even at day 7, the run off was very watery and not like the toothpaste I usually get. I confirmed it reached FG of 1.017 a few days ago, but it is still pretty cloudy with yeast. It smells good, but I suspect it will take some time to settle out. I may have to rack it to a carboy or keg to cold crash it if it doesn't start to clear up.

there is a farmhouse by me that malts their own grain and grows their own hops. I want to make an Estate IPA. I want something British-ish, clean but distinct. After pouring over Imperial, Wyeast, and White Labs, the Irish yeast seems to fit the bill.

I will ferment as cool as I can (62F) and slowly warm to reduce diacetyl.

It's on my mid-April schedule, so I'll report back ASAP.

Back