help me identify this keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
Hit an auction recently and scored some kegs. What type is this, seems almost 8-10 gallons. If you know what they are, what are they worth roughly?

ForumRunner_20120115_210723.jpg

They're worthless. PM me and I'll send you an address to get rid of them

200-300 dollars brand new. Helluva find!

They look like 10gal Cornelius strap kegs

Haha, now come on guys, I was born at night but not last night!

The lid is black and not metal. Weird turn valve on them that I'm not used to seeing compared to the ball lock valves.

My wife is the best! She picked me up those 2 in the picture plus...2 - 20 gallon SS containers, 2 - 3 gallon Cornelious kegs in very good condition, 1 - 5 gallon Challenger V keg (missing dip tube and lid) in bad shape (stained inside, pbw didn't even clean it up yet), and a 4' Stainless Steel table for 126.00!

So now that I brought it inside and looked real close it is a Firestone with Sanaloy finish. Also has a B 2 etched in it.

What's up with this style valve?

ForumRunner_20120115_213839.jpg

Nice find. I'm sure you'll make it work and I'm betting you can still find parts.

Is there a reason you won't use plastic? The beer really doesn't spend much time in contact with it, and I'm sure it will hold pressure.

Yes you can get a metal lid. They have them for around $5 at chicompany. It is a racetrack lid. Also make sure you get the special race track gasket From them too not many places have them. it's square profile Oring not round.

I see you have the posts with the plastic inserts. I have some 5 gal kegs with RaceTrack lids and the same posts. They work great, but parts are harder to find. Replacement posts are $15 each.

I'd like to see what kind of poppets are in the posts. Would you mind posting a pic?

Thanks.

This dang thing called work has been keeping me hostage! I will take some pics when I can. I may keep the plastic lids since they are in perfect shape.

This dang thing called work has been keeping me hostage! I will take some pics when I can. I may keep the plastic lids since they are in perfect shape.

It might be best to order one relacement lid per keg now along with a few orings. You never know when their supply will dry up and then bam you break a lid and you're down and out without being able to use the keg. Just don't lose them if you buy them now.

I wish I could be more help but these are probably newer than two of the kegs that I own with the old screw top/pressure plate. I gave up looking for parts for my kegs and decided to just use them as primary fermentors.

Yes you can get a metal lid. They have them for around $5 at chicompany. It is a racetrack lid. Also make sure you get the special race track gasket From them too not many places have them. it's square profile Oring not round.

Are you referring to the lid gasket? If so, they are not square in profile, they are round just like oval lid kegs. I use the same lid gaskets for all my kegs, oval or race-track style lids.

I love the idea of using them for a primary fermenter....10 gallon conical fermenter would be nice! need to find a SS welder :)

Back