Oktoberfest W/ALE yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpoch73

Reaction score
I do not have the ability to lager, but I'd love to make an Oktoberfest.

Is there an Ale yeast I can supplement that can give me a decent enough result for an Oktoberfest?

You can use a Kolsch yeast. My Mocktoberfest was fermented with Wyeast #2565 Kolsch yeast, and it's not quite ready yet, but it's tasting like it is going to be a winner. Kolsch yeast ferments best in the low 60's if you can manage, and requires a little extra aging, because it is low-flocculating.

Check out the recipe in my signature. It's an Oktoberfest recipe that I use Wyeast 1338 European Ale yeast on. That yeast makes a very good pseudo-Oktoberfest.

I had a REALLY good dopplebock (from Brewsmith) that he made with the Cali Common strain. I considered using that to make an Oktoberfest. Kinda lager-ey, although you still can't ferment it at regular ale temps (wants to be low 60s, not high 60s).

What happens when you ferment lager yeast at room temp? 70 degrees or so? Produce off flavors?

I thought that when you used a lager yeast at ale temps you got what is called steam beer, am I way off on this or what?

BrewFrick said:
I thought that when you used a lager yeast at ale temps you got what is called steam beer, am I way off on this or what?

That's the California Common / Lager (2112) that's been mentioned. It's a specific strain you want to use. It still wants to ferment a bit cooler than the typical ale yeast, though.

I second the motion for the 1007. One of my first brews made use of the strain and I was suprized by the seemingly "professional" results I got. Very nice yeast, very clean on the palate, very good beer. Just like it says, "German".

Cheers:mug:

Latest posts

Back