S-04 -- My British ale tastes very American

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So 3 days(!) into the fermentation of my Hobgoblin clone with S-04 at 66-69 *F (beer temp, ambient temp stayed between 63-65 *F), I drew a sample and it's already at my calculated FG of 1.014. The problem is that the taste is very, very, VERY clean. Cleaner than I've ever gotten from even WLP001 or Nottingham. It flocs like crazy and attenuates fast, so I guess I found my new favorite neutral American style yeast... Too bad this British beer is ruined though.

Don't write it off. It hasn't really even started yet. I've had a couple of brews that tasted too clean at bottling time that had the flavor profile come back with a couple of weeks aging.

Ruined? Really? Three days into fermentation? I think not.

Okay, maybe not ruined.. I'll still drink it :) But I couldn't detect any esters at all. The FG can't get much lower than it is right now, and the it's already mostly flocculated, so I don't think those esters will be appearing any time soon.

let it go, and it'll change. the yeast has only started eating the sugar. let it eat the rest of the sugar (about a week), then come back and clean itself up (2-3 weeks total, not days), and it should be fine. remember the golden rule: RDWHAHB

Back