Trimming corny dipstick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
I just got some new corny kegs that have never been used for beer. The dipstick goes all the way to the bottom for soda, but I'm assuming this is not quite what I want for beer. Can I just take a hack saw and trim it down a bit, or maybe bend it to the side so the yeast sits at the bottom of the "dome" and i can get almost all the beer, leaving hte yeast on the bottom?

Alot of people cut their tubes. I'm part of the camp that doesn't bother. I just toss the first pint, after that it's fine. 6 or 1/2 dozen to me.....

I am in the no cut crowd as well. I just don't see enough reason to do it. If you use a clearing agent anyways you shouldn't get much gunk in your kegs. If you really want to shorten it up, I would say just bend the tube up a bit. That way to keep the full length if you want to go back.

I bend mine up just a bit. Cutting is permanent.

Agreed. I've got two cornys I used to ferment in, so I cut the tubes so I could avoid the trub. Now I'd like to use them for dispensing, and I've got short tubes :D

MrH

I'm a "no cut" kegger. My dip tubes go all the way to the bottom. It works out fine for me, since I let the beer sit a few days (I'm also a no-shaker) and the yeast falls to the bottom. I dump out the first 3 ounces, and then I'm all set. When my keg is empty, all that is left is a tiny bit of yeast sludge on the bottom of the keg, and none by the bottom of the diptube.

If you want to cut, try no more than 1/4" initially. That should be enough to get above the yeast.

I look at it as been a good thing going to the bottom. I let my kegs sit in the keezer two weeks on gas for carbonation and everything settles, 90% of sediment get's sucked up that first pull thanks to the diptube being on the bottom. clear as glass the rest of the keg.

Thanks keiths, but anybody displaying that helmet is clearly an idiot... Go Green! :)

I'm the idiot? UM didn't have half there team out on suspension. At least they show up! Also I do believe that Michigan has had the most wins in Collage football history.O sorry that's a fact.

I'm the idiot? UM didn't have half there team out on suspension. At least they show up! Also I do believe that Michigan has had the most wins in Collage football history.O sorry that's a fact.

Have you ever seen a list of michigan's wins? Pretty impressive. Alma College and Ann Arbor High School sure are tough opponents.

Like the green have better wins. Last I looked that list was very dismal. Who has the most National championships. And when was the last msu championship? a long long time ago

Ok back on topic

I have two that I cut ¼" off the other 12 are full length.

Back