What to do when you have too much runoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
For some reason, after I moved to a new town I'm getting between 2 and 4 quarts more runoff than I did before, all with the same equipment and calculations (I used Beersmith). The only thing that has changed is the grain mill at Midwest (which is set to .030) and the water, but that is almost the same since it comes from the same source. I can't figure that problem out, I have no idea how I can get that much extra.

So my question is, what should I do with the extra runoff? If Beersmith tells me I need 7.5 gallons at the start of the boil, won't starting with 7.75 or 8.00 really mess me up. Is is better to add all the extra wort or just get my 7.5 and then dump the rest so I can stay on track with Beersmith?

Well if it was a one time thing I'd just boil longer, but since it seems to be consistant you should just adjust your sparge volume.

I batch sparge so what I do with a new system (or when having volume issues) is to drain my first runnings (1.25 qt per lb of grain) and then I'll measure how much I got in the kettle. Then I estimate what I want for pre-boil volume, divide that by 2 and batch sparge twice with that amount.

If you're getting more runoff, adjust the "losses to mash tun" or the equivalent in the software of your choice. That way next time you should be spot on. (or in the ballpark anyway)

If you have extra, don't dump it. Save it, freeze it, and use it for a starter for your next brew. It'll save you the price of DME........

I do one of two things:

1. Collect all runnings, and boil for 90 minutes REALLY hard
2. Leave the extra in the tun, add at the end of the boil if I need some extra.

I use 6 gallon and 6.5 gallon primaries, so usually I aim for 5.5 gallons in the carboy. If I collect a bit extra, no problems I just have extra beer :rockin:. When I used to have a 7.5g kettle, this was more of an issue. But in that case, I would just save the extra runnings until the end of the boil to top off. You end up sacrificing some gravity points, but you get more beer! I don't really care if my 5% beer comes in at 4.5% anyways...more beer is just more beer!

Back