I'm really not trying to be gross or childish!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joos

Reaction score
Does drinking live beer give anyone else disgusting flatulence?I actualy woke up to SWMBO spraying me with fabreeze last night!I told her to get used to it,because i'm addicted to HB.Alas she is right.My brown ale smells ALOT better going in then coming out.

Tends to be more of a "problem" with younger, "green" beers. As the beer ages, more yeast settles out and the auditory/olfactory experience diminishes.

haha didn't look at it that way.Well at least I'm not alone

Tends to be more of a "problem" with younger, "green" beers. As the beer ages, more yeast settles out and the auditory/olfactory experience diminishes.

Not just yeast -- it's the complex carbohydrates (oligosaccharides) that don't get fermented in homebrew (they get filtered out in macro brew). They make their way through your stomach and into the intestine, where: POW! BAM! All the microbes in your intestine gulp down on these sugars and well, then you get bad gas.

Seriously. At least that's my theory.

In theory, a light Pale ale homebrew and a big ol' stout should have the same amount of yeast, right? Well, which one causes worse gas? The big ol' stout with all those left over oligosaccharides.

I have a HUGE stout in the primary right now!I'll be sleeping on the couch in a few weeks;)

i dunno but the witbier i made gave me more gas than my stout and being the noob that I am, both were drunk green.

A couple of weeks ago it got so bad my wife and daughter had to leave the den. It was bad. But on the flip side, I seem to be able to drink a lot more homebrew without a hangover than with commercial beers. I've got a cold now that it nowhere near as severe as the ones I got before I started drinking more homebrew. It is a health tonic with only deadly farts as a side effect!

The problem is not the beer - it is the way YOUR body is working. Like some people eat chili and get the farts or sausage or whatever. There is some imbalanced in your body that is producing the flatulence.

At our brew club we took a poll and nobody has ever had this problem yet all have heard of it.

I suppose at a Chili club some people would have problems with certain chili.

So we should all drink more beer?I drink alot,but i guess i could step it up a notch.Thanks for the advice:D

I think, as with some of the others above, that it is the body's microflora adjusting.

I noticed a sharp spike upwards in greenhouse gas generating, which leveled off after about 2mos.

I'm not being gross either. Anyone want to know how to catch pure fart in a jar? It's an old hobby from my childhood. You can even set light to it without the risk of burning your ass.

OK, I WAS trying to be gross. :(

I drank a commercial lager that had a lot of sulfur in it. The next morning I woke up to the smell of volcanic sulfur fountain things. So I went back to sleep.

I'm not being gross either. Anyone want to know how to catch pure fart in a jar? It's an old hobby from my childhood. You can even set light to it without the risk of burning your ass.

OK, I WAS trying to be gross. :(

Vacuum seal the jar before attempting to capture the beast.

I've never had this issue. I have heard that the reason it gets better the longer you brew/drink homebrew is because your body gets used to it. Maybe the reason it gets better is that people have more patience the more stock that they have built up, so after a few months of homebrewing you arn't drinking green beer anymore

Sorry if I offended you.

Actually you were the " HUGE stout " and your significant other was the primary. It was a sex thing.

Again, sorry if I offended you, that was not my intent.

My appologies.

Not offended at all.just confused:DI'm gonna try to stout my primary tonight:rockin:...after some stout:cross:

Back