What's the right way to sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernut

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first all grain batch. I've read differing views on sparging. It seems all that is required is to rinse the grain bed, but one author says you should have 1", 2", or even more water standing on top of the bed. That seems more like a bath than a rinse. I envision sprinkling water on the bed at a rate slow enough it doesn't stand on the grain bed. Or is proper sparging somewhere in the middle?

beernut said:
I'm getting ready to do my first all grain batch. I've read differing views on sparging. It seems all that is required is to rinse the grain bed, but one author says you should have 1", 2", or even more water standing on top of the bed. That seems more like a bath than a rinse. I envision sprinkling water on the bed at a rate slow enough it doesn't stand on the grain bed. Or is proper sparging somewhere in the middle?
You'll want to maintain 1-2" of water on top. This will help the mash "float", and help prevent a stuck runoff. This will also help your yield as well. If the mash is allowed to sink down, it will tend to compact. Then you'll have a wonderful opportunity to think up long and creative bunches of colorful swear words. This is especially important in infusion mashes. (floating, not swearing)
Hope this helps you..
Tom

strat40 said:
You'll want to maintain 1-2" of water on top. This will help the mash "float", and help prevent a stuck runoff. This will also help your yield as well. If the mash is allowed to sink down, it will tend to compact. Then you'll have a wonderful opportunity to think up long and creative bunches of colorful swear words. This is especially important in infusion mashes. (floating, not swearing)
Hope this helps you..
Tom
Hahahahaha, that's funny!! I've come up with some words that later I was mighty proud of!!! hahahahahaha

I usually try to maintain a water level that's even with my grain level during sparge. I've never had a stuck mash (even when using flaked oats). As mentioned, don't let it sink far below that though... You don't want to risk a very bad brew day.

Back