1 Pound of Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tflew

Reaction score
I have a pound of Cascade Pellet hops sitting in my fridge and decided its time to use as much of that as possible in one beer. I have a 10 gallon system...any suggestions?

Man I wish I had a pound of cascade just sitting around.

If I did though, I would try a SMASH (single malt and single hop) beer. Pick a malt that you like and load it up with those hops! If you haven't tried first worth hopping, dry hopping, or other hop additions maybe give those a shot and see what you think.

If you want to go through the trouble. Try to experiment with some of those different hop additions by brewing 3 or more batches with the only variable being when you add the hops. Take good notes and use the same total amount per batch and you should have some good info to decide how you want to add them in future batches.

You could tuck half of that into a 5 to 6 gallon DIPA without any trouble. You would have a multitude of options on your grain bill.

Man I wish I had a pound of cascade just sitting around.

If I did though, I would try a SMASH (single malt and single hop) beer. Pick a malt that you like and load it up with those hops! If you haven't tried first worth hopping, dry hopping, or other hop additions maybe give those a shot and see what you think.

If you want to go through the trouble. Try to experiment with some of those different hop additions by brewing 3 or more batches with the only variable being when you add the hops. Take good notes and use the same total amount per batch and you should have some good info to decide how you want to add them in future batches.

Yup! I would like to do that too! mess around with hop timing addtions and see what comes out of it

What about doing a 10 gallon mash, using the first 5-6 gallons for a high graity DIPA and splitting the last 4-5 gallons (of presumably lower gravity wort) into smaller pots and changing when I add the hops in each one of those? Is this trying to do to many things at once or do you think it could produce both at good DIPA and SMASH results? Also thoughts on a grain bill that would be good enough for a DIPA but also basic enough for the results of the smaller batch hopping to show through?

Thanks

Yeah I don't see why that wouldn't work. If you want to do a SMASH beer then it would be just one base grain for the bill and that's it. You could always use different malts and stay with just the single hop variety as well.

I would think Maris otter would make an interesting DIPA, unless you want to stick with just American ingredients.

Yea I guess it wouldn't be a traditional SMASH beer but at the same time if the malt is consistent between all of the one gallon batches and not overly complex wouldn't it still achieve the goal of seeing how the different hop additions contribute to the beer?

Most definitely, just make sure to take really good notes on the hops and you will have some solid information on Cascades. You could use that to build recipes that fit your tastes, rather than just go off of commercial descriptions or other peoples pallates. When it comes ingredients...I'm not down with OPP.:p

Even if you did a ten gallon run, that's a lot of hops. I just did a 10gal of APA, with 4oz US-magnum at 60min, and the rest (15,10,0, each X 3oz)with cascade. It's only 9days old but it's going to be good. I'm going to dry hop with simcoe. Cascade is nice because it has a strong bitter flavor, makes people stop and say wow!

I would do 10 gallons of American Pale Ale. 2-row, some caramel or carapils, a bit of biscuit or honey or victory or even just Munich.

2oz at 30 minutes, 4oz at 5 minutes, and 8oz at flame-out held to steep for 5 minutes before chilling takes place.
Then, 2oz dry hop after fermentation finishes.

NebraskaBrewer goes through his Cascades a pound at a time. :p

Back