what is in my 2row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Got my grains from a new supplier yesterday and I just mashed in

Consists of 2 row and a lb of aromatic malt..

What are these little rice looking things?

ForumRunner_20120812_104805.jpg

Sorry.. camphone pic.

Will they affect my mash / flavor at all? There seems to be a good amount of them, mostly floating on top

Attached is a better on... Hopefully.

ForumRunner_20120812_110131.jpg

I have been searching the internet after you mentioned sprouts, and I think that they are rootlets..?

Anyways I am 30 minutes into my mash (iipa consisting of 2 row and aromatic)

Should I scoop them out, or just relax?

There is a thin layer floating on top of my mash

Yep. Nothing I can do now.

After strirring the mash I noticed that there is a good amount of them in there.. hopefully it doesn't affect my efficiency to bad.

I did. Tasted like nothing..

Ended up with less efficiency than I should have, but it was a successful brew day. Hit my 1.089 after a 1.75 hour boil.. only ended up with 4.75 gallons in the fermentor

InityBrew said:
I did. Tasted like nothing..

Ended up with less efficiency than I should have, but it was a successful brew day. Hit my 1.089 after a 1.75 hour boil.. only ended up with 4.75 gallons in the fermentor

Dang an almost 2 hr boil. I have never went that long.

The same thing happened in one of my mash's that I did the other day. My efficiency also seemed to suffer from previous batches of the same recipe

Yea.. it was my longest brew day to date.

On a positive note.. the beer was fermenting within 1 hour. Quickest start I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back