If you had 1 type of honey to make multiple batches from

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
Which type would you choose?

I was thinking of buying a 5 gallon bucket. To make 4-5 different batches from over the next few months. I wanted to get something that would be pretty flexible for various recipes. Also, out here in Texas pretty much my only local option is a wild flow/veg mix. Nobody local offers single source. I would have to order online to get Orange, clover, blueberry, etc.

Which type would you choose?

I was thinking of buying a 5 gallon bucket. To make 4-5 different batches from over the next few months. I wanted to get something that would be pretty flexible for various recipes. Also, out here in Texas pretty much my only local option is a wild flow/veg mix. Nobody local offers single source. I would have to order online to get Orange, clover, blueberry, etc.
Well there's no reason why you'd need to get mail ordered/shipped to you, if the local wild flower stuff tastes good.

Obviously, as raw and unprocessed as possible would be the best.

After that, clover or orange blossom should be fine.

I really like regional/local wildflower honey. As already stated, as raw as you can get it. Also, don't heat it any more than you absolutely MUST... Which means keep it under 100-110F.

I actually have a 5 gallon bucket of wildflower honey from my area (well, central and western MA). Looking forward to starting a few batches with it once I've moved. I don't want to start anything now, since I'll be moving within about two months. IMO, moving it while it's that young wouldn't be a good idea. So, since it's still sealed up nice and tight, I'll just wait. :D

BTW, I wouldn't go cheap for the honey. While you can find some good deals, you need to get honey that tastes great by itself. Mead, especially traditional meads, are very much dependent on quality ingredients. Having poor ingredients will show very easily in the end result. Unless you're going to add tons of other flavor elements into the batch, go with great over cheap.

I'm almost at the bottom of a bucket of Dutch Gold orange blossom and it's been pretty tasty, and seemingly made good mead (most of it is still aging). I've got a fresh bucket of DG alfalfa waiting to be cracked open.

I like alfalfa for a good robust honey that tastes good. Wildflower to me is a bit too light and can change over the season due to the fact that wildflower is more of a hodgepoge of different flowers, it all depends on what the bees harvest and that changes with the area.

Clover is another good staple for most, it's the most common honey beyond wildflower. But I find it usally too light for some of the more robust flavors. If you plan on having some light fruity batches then by all means: Wildflower, Clover. If you want some more robust honey flavor, alfalfa is best.

Orange Blossum that was mentionded is good too but, I tend to reserve this type of flavor to more citrus meads and lighter ones. I wouldn't use it for a vanilla or a pumpkin. But Peach or Mango are perfect for Orange Blossum.

I have a Bamboo Jasmin mead going where I used 1/2 buckwheat and 1/2 Orange Blossum. I was gong for some complexity in it. "Oaking" it on bamboo leaves currently.

Hope this helps.

Matrix

Personally, I like raspberry blossom. Great aromatic floral notes, and a slight tang in the flavor that complements many melomel recipes. Not super common, not often cheap, but definitely unique.

Personally, I like raspberry blossom. Great aromatic floral notes, and a slight tang in the flavor that complements many melomel recipes. Not super common, not often cheap, but definitely unique.

I haven't tried that type of honey. Yeah, I missed out on Kyle's (from Gotmead.com) bulk buy for that, . I need more honey in about 4 weeks time as I am currently out. I plan on bottling just after the 4th and have 3 carboys opening up. And it doesn't apear that he has spare at the moment as he has not contacted me back yet as to what he has.

I really would like more of the OB and Buckwheat that I got last time from him. Now those were tasty honeys.

Matrix

A 5 gallon bucket of honey is about 60lbs. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on honey, I'd go with orange blossom; you just can't go wrong with orange blossom honey. Clover & alfalfa are just too bland for a show mead, whereas orange blossom will just shine. It also makes good melomels as it's a mild enough to blend with/enhance many different fruits.

I've had mixed results with wildflower honey; it might taste great on toast, but it doesn't always make great mead. I know it would vary from region to region, maybe knapweed & MT wildflowers just don't make great wildflower honey; I won't use it anymore. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards, GF.

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up buying 15lbs (in 5lb $12.65 bottles) of Clover honey from Costco to make my first batch of Blueberry mead. While thats fermenting I'll be saving up to buy a 5 gallon bucket of Orange Blossom Honey from Dutch Gold.

Latest posts

Back