Loc-Line as a sparge arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check with bobby m at brewhardware I believe he has a kit or something similar.

Thats what I use for My HERMS and works fine.Drill a hole near the top and a quick attach connector for the hose and mounted on ten gallon IGLOO. Its adj for differnt size batches just pop it apart for length and add or subtract

OMG you're awesome.

Does anyone have any knowledge if it's safe chemically? I'm sure it won't melt, but I'd like some sort of reassurance that it's not leeching chemicals into my beer.

I've seen it used for aquariums also where any leaching would kill some sensitive corals and fish. Although aquariums are only in the 80 degree F range, I think it would probably be safe for brewing. I am planning on using this myself. Hope someone has a more definitive answer.

I use a Loc-Line as a recirculation return in my mash tun. I did some research and by everything I could find the type of plastic used is generally considered safe. I remember reading on the loc-line website somewhere that it was safe for use with food up to 170°F, but now I can't find the quote.

From my distributor:

Q: Is Loc-Line safe for food contact?

A: The material used to manufacture Loc-Line is an acetal copolymer. This material, in accordance to the rules 21 CFR 177.2470, meets the requirements of this regulation for aqueous food contact. Not applicable for fatty foods and alcohol. All colorants are used at the recommended let-down ratio and meet 21 CFR 178-3297 for food contact.

And I did find it at brewhardware.com. Thanks Bobby_M! Can you tell me if you also sell individual links? My mash tun is big enough I could see doing anywhere from 5-15 gal so for a 5 gal mash, it would have to drop quite a bit. Hell, maybe I'll just get two. I'll lose a couple links the first time I take it apart GUARANTEED.

My stock offering is 14 links which is enough for a 12" drop with a gentle bend at the bottom. Each link is about 1" so send me a message through my site if you need a little more length, figure $1 a link.

Back