Shipping WL yeast/temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teacher

Reaction score
Hey, all! Great site...I've learned enormous amounts already, and I'm just getting started. Anyway, I'm just getting into home brewing and am about to order my first load of supplies from morebeer.com (on the many recommendations from people here). The temps in my part of the country have been unseasonably cool, with highs being in the 50s and 60s (a touch warmer next week). morebeer recommends shipping White Labs yeast separately (i.e. not free) unless it's "cool" outside. My question is, though: what's cool? Would I be safe shipping it normally and saving a few bucks, or would I be running too high a risk? Thanks.

You'll probably be okay but if you don't ship it with ice or something I would suggest making a starter.

It might be cooler in your area but plenty hot in the rest of the West. You might consider the dry yeasts for the first few batches and then liquid as the temperatures get even cooler. You should have a few dry yeasts around anyway for emergencies.

Back