Airgas quote...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
So I called Airgas... the 5lb exchange program is $11 per refill and the INITIAL charge is $99 to get the cylinder and gas. So, I looked at the numbers, it is actually cheaper for me to BUY my own cylinder with a kegging kit and just have them refill it. Cheaper by like $20... I need to find the best deal on the WHOLE kit, including shipping...

I got my whole "kit" from Beveragefactory.com. 5# co2 tank as well and my refills cost me $1 a lb. Definitely owning your tank IMO opinion is the way to go.

You'll also have to pay for the tests of your tank when it's due and wait for the tank to be filled. One test and you're better than even. And that's not even including anything for all the time you'll be sitting there waiting for your tank.

I can go to Midwest and get the whole thing for $177 shipped... that isnt bad at all.

eager_brewer said:
I also went to beverage factory and they were great. Only problem is that no one will fill my tank they all want to exchange. YUCK.

The local industrial gas place would only exchange, but since I have a pretty nice, newish 10lb tank, I called a fire extinguisher place and they recharged me for $2 a pound. A bit more than the swap would have been ($13.60), but no taxes and I got to keep my tank. Now, when it comes time for a hydro test (Jan '10), I may swap, but for now, I'll keep going back to those guys.

the_bird said:
The local industrial gas place would only exchange, but since I have a pretty nice, newish 10lb tank, I called a fire extinguisher place and they recharged me for $2 a pound. A bit more than the swap would have been ($13.60), but no taxes and I got to keep my tank. Now, when it comes time for a hydro test (Jan '10), I may swap, but for now, I'll keep going back to those guys.

I bow to you sir. I just called a local company and I can get it filled for 7 bucks. Thank you!

Local industrial gas place here (Richmond Oxygen) does 5# fills for $12.60 including the tax. Just wait about 10 minutes and they'll fill it for you right then. Larger tanks are only slightly more as you're really paying for the labor more than anything.

eager_brewer said:
I bow to you sir. I just called a local company and I can get it filled for 7 bucks. Thank you!

Glad to hear it! Just passing along the good guidance I picked up from someone else (I never would have though on my own to call anyone but an industrial gas company).

Buford said:
Local industrial gas place here (Richmond Oxygen) does 5# fills for $12.60 including the tax. Just wait about 10 minutes and they'll fill it for you right then. Larger tanks are only slightly more as you're really paying for the labor more than anything.
My place (weld shop) chills my tank all day long.

I was informed (here) that the chilling is the best way to go and you get more into the tank.

I would think that the moment that liquid CO2 hits the tank it gets extremely frigid anyway, so I don't really know what the point of pre-chilling it would be. I know when they give me the tank back I can barely touch it with bare hands it's so cold.

Well, I will buy a CO2 tank and see if there are other places, besides Airgas to have it filled. I live in Ft Wayne, IN, so there are probably plenty of industrial gas places and welding supply shops to look into.

I got mine swapped out at a local welding place. I weighed it when I got home and it was 4.5 pounds over tare weight, so I guess I got hosed on 1/2 pound of CO2.

I wonder if I should take my own scale with me next time or ask them to weigh it before I leave. I know it's only 1/2 a pound, but that's 10% of the tanks capacity.

:off:

I just ran into a Meat and Food supply place here that will sells 6 month supplies of meat and other foods for $1/lb. Even steaks... can you imagine how fat I am going to be with all of my meat costing $1/lb and kegs of brew on tap?? OMG

I've been calling around to gas suppliers this afternoon, and the prices for fills/swaps are reasonable but the prices on getting a tank seem awfully high. Cheapest I found was $119 for a full 10lb tank. I can order a brand new one online and get it air shipped for about the same amount. This seems ridiculous. Any tips on where to get a tank?

I'm in Westford, MA, if anyone is from the area.

EdWort said:
I got mine swapped out at a local welding place. I weighed it when I got home and it was 4.5 pounds over tare weight, so I guess I got hosed on 1/2 pound of CO2.

I wonder if I should take my own scale with me next time or ask them to weigh it before I leave. I know it's only 1/2 a pound, but that's 10% of the tanks capacity.
Maybe it's similar to LP tanks? I know at all the local places that do propane refills they all have a prominent sign that says they only fill to 80% of the tanks rated capacity.

I ended up breaking down and going to the place that told me $119 on the phone because I wanted it today. They only charged me $89, so that wasn't bad at all.

I know it's been mentioned time and time again in these threads, but NEVER forget about Fire Services businesses. Search the Yellow Pages under "fire extinguishers".

Lansing, Michigan is a small-ish city, however the local Fire Services business provides the following:

5lb CO2 FILLS: 10 bucks

5lb. "beer gas" FILLS: 12 bucks

Hydrostatic testing on 5 lb. cylinder: about 15 bucks

Used, filled, reconditioned 5 lb CO2 tank with 5 year hydro. test certification: 65 bucks

:ban:

When going to school I find that the local welding supply shop has been the best place to fill my tank. Something around $9 for a 5lb, drop it off in the morning and pick it up later on in the day. Airgas and everyone else wants to swap only.

I got a 20# tank recently that hasn't been hydro tested since 1992..or so says the stamp. There is also a beverage companies name stamped on it from a looong time ago. It feels like there is still a significant amount of gas still in it. Would my best bet be to just exchange the tank at a weld shop when it's empty or go ahead and try and have it tested?

Back