American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this a few months ago. It was one of the best beers I've ever had. Everyone who tired it agreed. It was gone in 2 weekends between a few people. I wish it wasn't such a PITA to get amarillo. I am going ot make 10 gal of this soon.

If I toast the malt at home, I won't have access to a mill afterwards, so it won't work for me. What would be a good substitute for the toasted malt?

stonebrewer said:
Farmhouse has Amarillo in stock. Go get some before it is gone and make this beer!

Thanks man 1lb ordered can't wait.

Yeah, but I'd have to take a second trip over there and it is pretty far away, so I'd rather not. I will if I need to though. I really want to make this.

Yeah, but I'd have to take a second trip over there and it is pretty far away, so I'd rather not. I will if I need to though. I really want to make this.

I toasted my malt after it was milled and it worked fine. The beer turned out fantastic. In fact, I just ordered the ingredients to make another batch.

Fermentation just died down...I've had it at 65 F since Friday...gonna pull it out of the chamber tomorrow and let it finish up at room temperature. Probably let this sit in the primary for 3 weeks then it's off to the keg where it'll be drank rather fast :)

Vigo_Carpathian said:
If I toast the malt at home, I won't have access to a mill afterwards, so it won't work for me. What would be a good substitute for the toasted malt?

My HBS accidentally milled and combined all my grain before I could toast it. So I just pulled out 2 lbs of grain from the bag and toasted it. Beer turned out great! Another option would be to replace those 2 lbs with Vienna.

My HBS accidentally milled and combined all my grain before I could toast it. So I just pulled out 2 lbs of grain from the bag and toasted it. Beer turned out great! Another option would be to replace those 2 lbs with Vienna.

I used Victory instead of home toasting the malt with great success.

So I'm really stoked to be making this beer on Saturday, especially since I've been reading about it for months.

I've got 1 oz each simcoe and amarillo as pellet and 2 oz each as whole hops. Any thoughts on when best to add which type (pellet vs whole hop?) Doubt it will matter, I think this is going to be a freaking blast to brew!!

So I'm really stoked to be making this beer on Saturday, especially since I've been reading about it for months.

I've got 1 oz each simcoe and amarillo as pellet and 2 oz each as whole hops. Any thoughts on when best to add which type (pellet vs whole hop?) Doubt it will matter, I think this is going to be a freaking blast to brew!!

Definitely dry hop with the whole leaf and bitter with pellets. This should keep your IBUs closer to what is calculated.

Definitely dry hop with the whole leaf and bitter with pellets. This should keep your IBUs closer to what is calculated.

Thanks, Sippin! Can't wait to make this. I'm a lifelong Chicagoan living in exile in the western suburbs.

About to mash out in Bucktown in Chicago (4 more minutes). Awesome day to brew. Enjoy the lakewalk. I brewed it last year and loved it. I think it may be my only repeat brew.

Just got done brewing this one. Thanks Dude!! and all other helpful commenters.

I put 1/2lb melanoiden but otherwise followed the recipe and got just over 5 gal OG 1.050 so I'm a very happy boy. Plus I made up 5 gal apfelwein during mash!!!

I made this using a 1L starter of Wyeast 1056, it took off within 12 hours or less. The airlock bubbled for about a day or so then stopped. I've had it in a swamp cooler with water in the garage where the temps get down to about 58°F at night and up to around 63°F during the day (I expect this to stay consistent for the next week or so). Does anyone think I'm fermenting too cool? I know that during the height of fermentation the temp inside the fermenter can be several degrees above ambient.
I think it will be alright, guess I just need to fret about something...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Went through a few dozen pages, and search wasn't helping out...

I know 05 is a nice clean work house that is very consistant for me...

Just curious if anyone has tried wlp007 for a tad drier or wlp051 for a fuller body?

Just looking for some ideas before I brew this sunday.

atimmerman88 said:
Went through a few dozen pages, and search wasn't helping out...

I know 05 is a nice clean work house that is very consistant for me...

Just curious if anyone has tried wlp007 for a tad drier or wlp051 for a fuller body?

Just looking for some ideas before I brew this sunday.

I just brewed this on 5/11/13 and used S-04, I was about use use 1056 (which has become my go to yeast) but the guy at the home brew store was raving about 04... I hope it turns out good.

I ended up scaling the recipe to make 7.5 gallons ---- 5.5 are on US05 and 2 are on WLP051 just for grins.

We'll see how the fuller bodied version compares with 051

Just got done bottling. 47 x 12oz bottles
OG 1.050
FG 1.014
4.73 ABV

Tastes delicious! Nice bittering and aromatic hop. I'm throwing a party two weeks from tomorrow and I'm sure it will impress. Thanks dude!

I made a batch of this with victory instead of toasted malt. Not sure how this differs from the original, but it's damn good.

I hate to be another too add the...tasted great but I think I have too.

This has been the best tasting beer at 1 week I've ever made. Can't wait to try it in the bottle, and compare it to the 051 side of it too!

Can anyone who has made this Brew chime in for me and tell me if lake walk tastes like 90 minute dogfish head ipa? The reason I ask is I'm one of those few rare people who don't like the 90 minute dogfish head. Something about the taste just isn't right for me. I looked up the recipes and it is also made with Amarillo and Simcoe. Different malt bill and amounts of hops though.
Thanks

T

trapae said:
Can anyone who has made this Brew chime in for me and tell me if lake walk tastes like 90 minute dogfish head ipa? The reason I ask is I'm one of those few rare people who don't like the 90 minute dogfish head. Something about the taste just isn't right for me. I looked up the recipes and it is also made with Amarillo and Simcoe. Different malt bill and amounts of hops though.
Thanks

T

I made this with victory instead of home toasted malt. It tastes nothing like DFH 90. In my opinion it is a much better tasting brew.

trapae said:
Thanks

T

DFH 90 is an imperial IPA, this is pale ale... Not even close to the same. I like DFH 90 but I can see why some might not enjoy it, this will be closer to a Sierra Nevada style pale ale.

2 weeks in the bottle, can't stop sneaking them...I know I should wait a bit but this beer is so damned good!

So my og was a bit low 1.050 and fg maybe a but high at 1.014, making abv about 4.7
Tastes great, just so good. probably better to have lower alcohol!

Usually when I'm trying a new beer I go to BA to read some reviews. I sat down with my lwpa, took a sip and instantly thought "what would the bros think of this one?" before it dawned on me that I MADE this amazing brew!!!!

i brewed this one a few times and its one of my favorites but i'm going to try brewing it with mosaic replacing the simcoe

This has been carbonating in the keg for a little over 1 week and I took a small sample. Outstanding!! I've been trying to get a PA that I can feature as my "Haus Ale" and always have on tap. I think I've found it. I followed the recipe, but scaled it based on my efficiency and batch size. I found some Amarillo (scarce) and I used Safale US-05. I hit the OG and FG pretty much spot on, I mashed pretty high at 155 F, and I fermented for two weeks at 65F before drying hopping for 5 days in the keg. I then removed my hop tea balls and carbonated and chilled in my keezer. I wouldn't change a thing. We'll see how this tastes after a week or two in the keg. It should be even better as the flavors mellow.

Five gallons in the fermenter after a near-perfect brew day.

This was the first time I had used Amarillo or Simcoe, and I kept sniffing the hops. The tropical fruit aromas are amazing! I can't wait for this one to go into the keg.

Thanks for the great recipe Dude!

Well, I think I mucked this one up a bit. My preboil gravity came in at 1.040 instead of 1.050 and I was trying to have a preboil of 50 liters or 13.2gal for a 12 gal batch, but I ended up with more like 11.5 gal or 44 liters because I had to throw out some of the later runnings because they were too watery. I'm not sure what happened to my efficiency this time.

Do you have any suggestions for how to hop this thing now? I figure that I will cut back the 60 and 20 min additions a bit, but I'm not sure exactly how much to cut.

I would just boil it until I get my target gravity, but it's already too dark as it is. I wonder if the toasted malt that I used was converted more than I thought it was.

Well, I think I mucked this one up a bit. My preboil gravity came in at 1.040 instead of 1.050 and I was trying to have a preboil of 50 liters or 13.2gal for a 12 gal batch, but I ended up with more like 11.5 gal or 44 liters because I had to throw out some of the later runnings because they were too watery. I'm not sure what happened to my efficiency this time.

Do you have any suggestions for how to hop this thing now? I figure that I will cut back the 60 and 20 min additions a bit, but I'm not sure exactly how much to cut.

I would just boil it until I get my target gravity, but it's already too dark as it is. I wonder if the toasted malt that I used was converted more than I thought it was.

Why dont you just top up and add DME? If no DME on hand then I'd say cut back the hop additions by the same percentage that you missed your target OG. Atleast do that for the 60 min addition, you can keep the late additions the same, wont contribute many more IBUs anyways.

I'm a *******. My gravity reading was off, and the beer will be ok without changing the hops. I did the first addition just now without a change. :) Thanks for the help anyway!

I am brewing this today, my third all grain batch (first two were Centennial Blonde and Nazz Session IPA from Zymurgy). I got whole hops for dry hopping, and my LBHS only had Amarillo in whole, so that is going into the boil.

I got a separate 2lbs of 2-row to toast in the oven, but when I checked out the guy there said Victory malt is just roasted 2-row and I could have gotten that. Anybody know if that is true?

Back