Oooooold co2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hevnsnt

Reaction score
So I have been watching craigslist for a co2 bottle, so I could start putting together a kegerator. One came up cheap ($15) that was older, so I figured I would get it.

When I got over there I found that it was FULL. Thing is, it was filled almost 8 years ago.

So,

Should I go ahead and use up this co2? Does co2 (in a Steel bottle) go bad?

I can't say with 100% certainty that old gas is good gas, but I'm fairly certain it's just fine as long as it's actually CO2 that's in there. When I got my 20 pound tanks the guy said he hadn't used them for five years but they were still each about half full. No problems here.

Tank will probably need re-certified when you go to fill it if it hasn't been filled for 8 years, as they are stamped for 5 year long safety certification. Some places don't bother checking much and or just swap them but it is something to keep in mind.

If you want to refill, plan on $15 - $20 for a hydro test. If you want to swap, I don't think any place requires you to pay for the test.

CO2's not going to go bad - you're fine. I got an old tank, probably 15 years old (think the last hydro on it was 1992), and used up the CO2 before swapping it. Gas was fine, and no cost for the test.

Use it. When it's empty, take it to a place that swaps tanks. That makes the hydro test their problem.

Back