Imperial Stout Dark Night of the Soul Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at 3.5 weeks now and its not done. I'm kind of stuck right now because I don't have an empty fermenter to even transfer into. I'm waiting on a DFH 60-minute clone to finish (now at 2.5 weeks and still bubbling) before I have an empty fermenter.

The more I'm thinking about this beer now, at probably over 12% alcohol, does anyone think I'll be able to bottle condition this? I have no keg equipment, so I always use bottles. I'm kind of wondering if the yeast will be viable enough to make any carbonation with this thing. The good thing is that I'm willing to be patient and let it take 3-4 months if needed, but I'm not sure if that will be enough.

Any thoughts from those of you who bottle condition high ABV beers?

I'm bottle conditioning mine right now. I just threw one in the fridge to see how it's doing. It's been a month since bottling so I'm not real confident that it has much if any carbonation but I'll let you know.

DSCN1354.JPG

Damn that was quick and I'm surprised it's carbed this nicely. It's good but has a serious alcohol flavor right now. It should be great by christmas.

Smokinghole, what sugar did you prime with? How many volumes did you carb to? Based on what you see above, is it right? Too much? Too little?

I, for some reason did not write it down. I believe I used corn sugar and primed to 2.4 or 2.5 volumes. I would drop it down a tad since I was on the high end and it seems a little too much. Also the pic shows a fairly bad pour into a fresh glass. I used WLP099 for additional fermentation. My wlp001 stalled out and with the wlp099 I ended up at 1.023.

I was at 1.026 last week using Wyeast 1272, so I'm sure I'm below that now. So, I don't think mine stalled out. I haven't thought yet about adding more yeast during bottling. That is kind of my unknown at this point. But, if I'm below 1.026 (I'll know in a few weeks when I check it again), my attenuation has been very good. I'm just not sure how many yeast I still have alive in a 12% brew to make more CO2 for carbonation.

My guess is that you'll be fine with that yeast. I do believe it has a high alcohol content. I've never used it but I think that's the wyeast comparable yeast to wlp001, right? If you're worried you can always grab a packet of champagne yeast for bottling if you're worried.

I brewed 5 gallons of this bad boy on May 25.

I split it into two 5 gallon Better Bottles and half of a 1 gallon jug. The jug was diluted with water, just to see what a Dark Night of the Soul Stout Jr. would taste like.

May 26 was spent cleaning up brown blow off from my floor and ceiling.

I'll be making a batch again in the fall months. The first time I made it with extract but this time it'll be all grain.

Did your blow off clog?

No, you can't clog a blow off you don't have. *Face Palm*

I thought 4.5 gallons would have plenty of headspace split into two 5 gallon carboys. I was wrong.

I did 5 gal in a 7 gal primary. I had blow off for a week. I think you'd almost need a 10gal fermenter to tame this as a 5 gal batch.

Live and learn. That's what I thought I was doing with splitting the 5 gallons into 2 5 gallon carboys.

Has anyone tried this recipe with Nottingham's? I've got a Samuel Smith oatmeal stout that should be ready to bottle by next week. I'm thinking about just brewing this and pitching it on the cake.

ok, i think i'll have to do a 5g of this 1 next weekend. judging from what i've read, i'll use high-grav yeast and my 15g fermenter...

Has anyone tried this recipe with Nottingham's? I've got a Samuel Smith oatmeal stout that should be ready to bottle by next week. I'm thinking about just brewing this and pitching it on the cake.

You could try it but the nottingham could stall out necessitating a second yeast.

I'll be trying this again as an all grain recipe and will split the batch into two fermenters. One will get oak after primary is over and the other unoaked. Hopefully I won't have too much blow off with 3gal in a 6gal BB.

What is the max time you all have had this in secondary? I brewed up a batch with my cousin a few months ago now and have had it in secondary for at least 2 months...

We're moving soon, so I'm gonna have to get off my burro and bottle this on up soon, but I'm curious..

Mike.

I'll say it's balanced. I just drank my last sample bottle tonight I finished brewing this up in Feb so at 5 months it still has an noticeable alcohol flavor but it's mellowed BIGTIME. I have two cases of it for holiday festivities at my parents basement.

Now mine was a DME based batch with all the specialty grains my first go around. I'm waiting for the fall months to do another batch of all grain this go around. I'm thinking I'm going to split the batch and oak one of the halves.

About to make a starter for this with WLP007.

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
Clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. This yeast is similar to WLP002 in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It is also reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.
Attenuation: 70-80%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
(18-21°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

I've decided that this will be the beer that I plan on aging a year for my wedding on 9/10/11 :ban:

With my system I've been averaging at about 68% efficiency...can anyone else who has brewed this chime in with what sort of drop I might expect? The biggest beer I've brewed yet is my belgian tripel that's in the secondary right now that started at 1.082 prior to adding any candi sugar (added the sugar in the primary during fermentation). This was a 2 hour boil (planned on 90 minute but overshot my pre-boil volume) and put my brewhouse efficiency at 69%.

I was shocked that my efficiency was so high on a high gravity beer (primarily due to the 2 hour boil I'm sure), but I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice :)

I also plan to throw this onto a yeast cake of notty that I have a brown ale sitting on now. I'll keep the post updated if it stalls out at a high gravity and I'm forced to pitch a more attenuative yeast.

I guess it's fate that I've got 6oz of Columbus in my freezer, eh? :mug: Looks like with repitching and having the hops on hand, I can brew this one up for just under 40 bucks!

Bought my ingredients for this today, should be making it tomorrow. This will be my first big beer. I plan on oaking this and adding a very small amount of cherries in the secondary.

Just bottled ours today after 3+ months in secondary. Still tasted good, though a little thin and Waaaaay dominated by alcohol. Can't wait to crack these come Christmas-time... Should be a tasty little warmer.

Now I just need to research what the next year-wait beer we'll brew is gonna be, so we can make it while we enjoy this one......(any thots? I'm becoming more interested in soured ales. Not too sure about the brew buddies tho)

~M~

Made a little footage of the process from yesterday. Feel free to laugh at my ghetto brew in a bag method ;)

brewday

I'm looking into doing this again with some customized tweaks. I think I might try and split the batch of grain and do two BIAB mashes. I'm replacing some of the malt with real dark jaggery and will probably let it age with oak cubes for 5-6 months.

So I subscribed to this thread a long, long time ago, and people were having trouble finding roasted rye (myself included), but I don't remember if issue was ever resolved. Curious, I decided to look again. Went to Midwest Supply's website and found THIS. They call it 'Crystal Rye,' and comes in around 80-100 SRM. Is this the same thing? Similar? Close enough?

I just took my first try at this one, though a 5 gallon batch. Didn't have roasted rye available so I got a pound of flaked rye (plus I had a half pound of leftover roast barley) and stuck it in my drum coffee roaster. A couple ounces fall into the chafe tray and didn't roast, could have been a touch darker though it hit the max time the machine allows, a split batch of 1/2 lb each would get it a bit darker if I do this again.

1241-flaked-rye-roasted-drum-coffee-roaster.jpg

If anyone else needs to do home roasting you could try using a hot air popcorn popper or a large stainless bowl and a heat gun, these are both simple commonly used devices for coffee.

I also cut the pale malt down to 18 lbs instead of 20, but my efficiency must have been horrible, came out at 1.094 instead of in the 1.120 ballpark I was expecting. Mashed with 6 gallons, temps were 146-148, iodine test looked good. Then did 2 batch sparges with 2 gallons each, ended up with a little over 7 gallons total, boiled down to 5.5. Even so, that's still a high enough gravity for me.

Made about 700 mL of starter with 1272, when I woke up there was quite a mess, even my blowoff needs a blowoff.

1242-blow-off.jpg

I'm fermenting my variation of this as a 6g batch in a 10g keg. Hopefully I don't have a whole lot of blow off. It seems like this Setup would be a good way to deal with crazy blowoff and beer loss due to the insane krausen from these high gravity fermentations.

Yeah, I need to either get a 10 gallon bucket or setup up a return system like that. It's calmed down a bit now, but I lost close to half a gallon using a 6.5 carboy.

I just brewed up my first AG version of this. I used MO as a base malt and added roasted barley. My gravity was at 1.133. I have it sitting in a 10g keg so there's about 4.5g worth of head space. I hope I don't have blow off but I'm set up for blow off.

So I'm 24 hours into my second batch now. This time I milled my own grain and got 1.124, so my efficiency isn't too bad now, could have gone slightly finer though. Also, got rye malt instead of flaked this time, roasted by stirring in a wok with a hot plate since the grains were too small for the coffee roaster.

1363-2nd-batch-roasting-rye-wok.jpg

I should have bought a 10 gallon bucket, but instead I picked up some foam control. Didn't work...

1364-2nd-batch-24-hours-lost-gallon-blowoff.jpg

In fact, I've lost even more this time, about a gallon, though it's slowing down now. Higher gravity plus I made a stir plate to continuously aerate the starter, it was bubbling within 3 hours of pitching.

Could do with a colder room too, it's 64F while the carboy is 76F. :(

Back