Porters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I was thinking of brewing a Porter for my second attempt. Is this a bad idea? Right now my American Nut Brown Ale is resting for another few weeks. Is it realistic to try and tackle a Proter?

I was thinking of brewing a Porter for my second attempt. Is this a bad idea? Right now my American Nut Brown Ale is resting for another few weeks. Is it realistic to try and tackle a Proter?

My first beer was a porter. They are an extremely forgiving style and you should have no problem with it.

I love a good porter and was my first all grain beer that I did. Like carnevoodoo said, it is a very forgiving beer for the most part.

Have you picked out a recipe or anything?

THanks guys. I havent picked a recipe yet. Someone gave me a book called ClassicBeer StyleSeries: PORTER. It has some recipes in it. But if anyone has one they can recommend I would be very appreciative.

I don't have a recipe for you, but this is interesting in that the porter might not be that much different from the brown ale. Use the same hops, same yeast, just try making minimal adjustments to the grain bill to see how they affect the final product. This would be the 'educational' way to do it. Or you could just go English with this one.

go for it. They are no different really. Enjoy!

My first porter is about to be kegged today. I am so excited to taste this one!

I don't have the ClassicBeer StyleSeries: PORTER, but the recipes in the Mild Ale and Brown Ale books are uniformly good, so I'd expect the porter recipes to be fine.

My very 1st beer is the "Ironman Porter" it is still in my primary.I am really looking forward to the Sampling. Can you add a twang or a hoppy robust to the Porter before secondary or transfer to Bottling ? Yes I too am starting to love this hobby !

I just brewed Jamil's robust porter and it came out great.

A ProMash Recipe - Robust Porter

Jamil has some other good recipes on that site as well. It tastes good at first but gets unbelievable better at about the 2 month mark. Try Smuttynose's Robust Porter if you've never had one before.

Thanks again everyone. Im convinced. Porter it is for my next batch. I may give one on the book a try or maybe Cercueils suggestion. Sky is the limit.

Latest posts

Back