3 gallon all grain technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mash tun cost around $30 to make with an existing cooler I had lying around. I have a 30 quart brewpot that I've been brewing full boil extract kits for years, that I use as my kettle. Because of where I live, I bought my mill for ~$130 so I could stock up on my grain and not have to pay for shipping.

Kits used to cost me $30. My batches now cost me around $15. The quality in my beer has improved dramatically as I have learned so much. I've brewed 7 AG batches of beer. At batch #11, I will have "recooped" my new equipment purchases.

Depending on how big your current kettle is, I think you will be surprised at how quickly your investment will be rewarded.

I like this 3 gal technique b/c I have a typical 5 gal brewpot, no place to brew outside (apt dweller), and a stove that struggles to keep 3 gallons boiling.

Im going to try a 3 gallon AG soon with the Brew In a Bag method. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0/fa

I have a turkey fryer for the kettle and burner, I just don't feel like making/buying a MLT right now. I'm going to double up a couple of paint strainers for the filter bag at first and see how that goes. Also with the larger wort volume of a full (5+ gallons of wort)all grain batch you would need some type of a chilling device, but 3 gallons I can manage in the tub. Gonna try an american wheat beer my next weekend off.

I like this 3 gal technique b/c I have a typical 5 gal brewpot, no place to brew outside (apt dweller), and a stove that struggles to keep 3 gallons boiling.

Go for it! I noticed a huge improvement in quality in my beers when I went AG. There is always a method of brewing that is right for you!

I think I will try it. The only issue I have is hot-side aeration from scooping the wort from the mash tun into the kettle/strainer. Although, I've heard this really isn't much of a problem for homebrewers.

There's also no Vorlof in this process. Is that important?

All I need to buy is a cooler and I'm set for AG.

This also brings cost to brew under $20 for a 3 gallon batch without having to purchase bulk grain.

:)

I think I will try it. The only issue I have is hot-side aeration from scooping the wort from the mash tun into the kettle/strainer. Although, I've heard this really isn't much of a problem for homebrewers.

:)

Then don't worry about it if you've heard it isn't a problem for HB
ers...:D

It isn't.

The easiest , yet still cost effective way to do small batch AG or Pm is with an unmodified cooler, folding steamer and grainbag. This is what I mean my a folding steamer, They can be found at any grocery store.

6096steamers.jpg

(You need to unscrew or break off the post in the center.)

Put the steamer in the bottom of the cooler, put in a grainbag and rubberband the bag to the top of the cooler.

steamer.jpg

That's how I showed how to do small batch ag brewing fro the mr beer thread, for the article I'm writing.

I prefer doing 2.5 AG batches rather than 3...you can easily scale them if you don't have access to brewing software, and you can ferment in 3 gallon better bottles, water bottles or the old brown jug.

Revvy,

I love it! And I have all that stuff, except the grain bag. What size do I need for a 5 gal bev cooler?

Revvy,

I love it! And I have all that stuff, except the grain bag. What size do I need for a 5 gal bev cooler?

For a 5 gallon get a Nylon Paint Strainer bag from your hardware store.

The kind with the elastic, that can fit in a bucket. (in fact a lot of LHBS's carry them as well, but they'll be cheeper at the hardware store.)

5gal_elastic_strainer.jpg

For a five gallon you wont be able to get a rubber that would hold the grain bag in the cooler, that effectively.

your lhbs should have grain bags that will fit nicely. i just started using sparge bags and they flow a bit better than my old bag. the other one i had was just a plian mesh bag, very fine, the new one has a corser mesh on the bottom for better flow and fine mesh on the sides

Nylon Paint Strainer bag from your hardware store.

The kind with the elastic, that can fit in a bucket. (in fact a lot of LHBS's carry them as well, but they'll be cheeper at the hardware store.)

5gal_elastic_strainer.jpg

For a five gallon you wont be able to get a rubber that would hold the grain bag in the cooler, that effectively.

i'd be worried about the bag not being food grade and leeching stuff into the brew, but thats just me. maybe its the same type of nylon, i don't know, i just get the ones at the lhbs

i'd be worried about the bag not being food grade and leeching stuff into the brew, but thats just me. maybe its the same type of nylon, i don't know, i just get the ones at the lhbs

I've checked the label...it is the exact same one from the lhbs, as at the hardware store....Kinda like buying a collander or an O2 bottle at the LHBS, generally those are NOT exclusive brewing products, just ones adapted by us.

well then, i that case get em where its cheapest, thats my thoughts. i'm a cheap ass, i'll look forever for the best deal and wait til i can buy it

I found this about doing small 3 gallon AG brews. Would this be a good way to start AG without much added expense?

http://www.classiccitybrew.com/homebrew.html

This is pretty close to the method I used to get started in AG brewing. I made a 3 gal cooler MLT for partial mashing, and then quickly realized that it could also be used for 3 gal AG batches. I did a few of those before I built my 10 gal MLT (and a number since then). Small AG batches are definitely not timesaves, but they sure are fun. Everything is easily done in the kitchen, clean-up is easier since the equipment is small and easily fits in the sink, you don't need expensive equipment (I originally got by with mashing in a nylon bag and cooling in an ice bath in the sink, so no expensive MLT or chiller are necessary), and you have the flexibility to make a lot of different beers and not worry about ruining the odd one. I also find that bottling a 3 gal batch is so much easier than 5 gals (it seems like less than half the work for me, for some reason).

If you want to learn or experiment with your process, experiment with recipes, gain lots of experience AG brewing, not worry about losing a big batch of beer, or brew indoors without hassle, small AG batches are a GREAT way to go.

The easiest , yet still cost effective way to do small batch AG or Pm is with an unmodified cooler, folding steamer and grainbag.
+1 to this advice. This is exactly what I used for small AG batches and PM brewing. Works great.

Hey rasherb, I had lots of problems boiling on my stovetop as well. I greatly improved my ability to do stovetop boils by insulating my boil kettle and switching to an aluminum kettle (which, BTW, also COOLS very quickly, especially in ice baths). See my post here for the details:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53683

Thanks, FlyGuy. Looks like you have a ceramic stove top like I do. Looks like I've got a trip to the home improvement store coming this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

This is pretty sweet:

5 gallon bev cooler - $24 at Target
5 gallon paint strainer bag - $3 at Home Depot

I'm doing an all-grain batch this weekend!
Time to start some yeast...

Hey Revvy,

Can I wash the paint strainer bag and re-use?

Do you think it will hold up to a few brews?

Thanks!

Hey Revvy,

Can I wash the paint strainer bag and re-use?

Do you think it will hold up to a few brews?

Thanks!

Yes, you can, I usually hand wash mine, but other people chuck it in the washer...just make sure you pick out the grain and husks from around the seams...I have found that they really stick in that area.

I usually hand wash mine in oxyclean, then hang it to dry..

You can get quite a few uses out of it, usually until it is so discolored, smells, or just falls apart...but that would be at least a dozen brews.

This worked out great.

I got a cheap 5 gal bev cooler from Target.
Paint strainer bags are very cheap from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I got about 65% efficiency, not to shabby.

I did 3 gallons of wort, but I could have easily done a 4 or 5 gallon batch if I had a larger boiling pot.

One thing: Check to see if your tube fits the spout on your cooler. Mine didn't and I ended up draining into a pitcher then pouring into my kettle. I'm sure if hot side aeration is a concern I'll find out.

Thanks for the technique Revvy!:mug:

Back