powering mill ratios parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
i have decided to power my mill via sheaves and a half horsepower motor. the motor is the 1\2 horsepower general purpose electric motor from harbor freight. sorry I am on my phone and can't post a link. the motor has a 5\8 inch shaft so I am limited in pulley ratios. the max speed of the motor is about 1750 rpm. the largest v belt pulley I can find is 12 inch od . the smallest od with 5\8 bore to connect to the motor is 1.5" od. so at max rpms I get a final rpm of 218 and 291 with a 1.5 inch and 2.0 inch od pulley on the motor, respectively. I have a monster mill mm2 2.0. which ratio would be best all around. are there any flaws here? thanks.

Slower is better.
I went with the 1.5 inch and the 10 inch pulleys. There are a couple of belt options. One is a bit narrower which will allow it to ride lower in the pulley grooves which will result with a slight reduction in rpm's. Shoot for rpm's under 300 and you'll be fine.

I went to automation direct and bought a 1800rpm 1 hp 115/240v motor and a 90 degree gear reducer 10 to 1 ratio and a coupler from Grainger. Headed to Costco and bought a stainless steel table for 125.00 BLAM done! $260 for parts though. The benefit is no pulley's to adjust and no finger to save.

260.00 motor and gear reducer
125.00 table
385.00 total

IMG_1062-resized.jpg

IMG_1065-resized.jpg

I went to automation direct and bought a 1800rpm 1 hp 115/240v motor and a 90 degree gear reducer 10 to 1 ratio and a coupler from Grainger. Headed to Costco and bought a stainless steel table for 125.00 BLAM done! $260 for parts though. The benefit is no pulley's to adjust and no finger to save.

260.00 motor and gear reducer
125.00 table
385.00 total

That is GREAT!!!

Any chance you could post the "coupler" you got from grainger? and also some dims on the footprint and height of the motor and gearbox? This is my next project only I want to mount it all below the table instead of on top.

Thanks for the great idea.

Steve

Back