Aromatic Substitute for ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veedo

Reaction score
brewing up jamils special/premium bitter this week and i have everything but the aromatic malt. heres what i have that might work

victory
vienna
biscuit
munich
rye
red wheat
white wheat
carapils

i did some searching with many different opinions, but i am leaning towards munich.

general recipe background

aromatic .5lb
crystal 120 .5lb
special roast .25lb
english pale malt 9.5lb

EKG at 60, 20, and 1 for 30ibu, wyeast 1968

Munich or vienna in that small of a quantity likely won't add too much of the biscuity aroma. I'd go with victory or biscuit.

That's a tough call. Munich has the most similar flavor characteristics, but .5 lb of it won't do much. I'd boost the munich to 1.5 - 2 lbs and reduce the pale malt accordingly. Victory and biscuit will give a nutty flavor which is not really what aromatic provides. If you had some melanoidin malt that would be a better replacement. The other thing to try is do a longer boil. This can enhance the malty character.

That's a tough call. Munich has the most similar flavor characteristics, but .5 lb of it won't do much. I'd boost the munich to 1.5 - 2 lbs and reduce the pale malt accordingly. Victory and biscuit will give a nutty flavor which is not really what aromatic provides. If you had some melanoidin malt that would be a better replacement. The other thing to try is do a longer boil. This can enhance the malty character.

That's actually a good suggestion, sub munich for some pale malt, maintaining the same gravity, up to about 2 pounds.

Good call on the Munich. I have never dealt with aromatic so I have no clue what it's all about. I tasted some biscuit and victory today, both taste like crackers to me. Munich has a nice malty flavor in my opinion. My next order will have some aromatic for sure.

For reference I found some aromatic and dark munich(10-12L) I have stocked. The aromatic has a breadier, malty flavor. The munich also has a malty flavor, but more toasty than aromatic. So, I'd still stick with the munich.

Thanks guys! I think I'll put a bit of Munich in and wing it. Next batch ill try the aromatic and note the difference.

Latest posts

Back