Ever use a yeast that wasn't intended for the job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Curious the results everyone is getting using a yeast in a beer that wasn't designed for the job. What did you end up with? Any examples?

I am getting ready to bottle a california common that uses lager yeast at ale temps. Tasted fine at transfer time.
And I tried to make an old cider recipe that called for bread yeast-that didn't turn out so well.

I am getting ready to bottle a california common that uses lager yeast at ale temps. Tasted fine at transfer time.
And I tried to make an old cider recipe that called for bread yeast-that didn't turn out so well.

modern bread yeast is probably a very different strain than they were using way back in the day - how old?

I've heard that using a kolsch yeast in any beer will make it taste kolsch-ey. altbier yeast probably does the same thing. My own kolsch attempt leads me to believe that this is true.

Some people make banana bread beer by making a brown ale and fermenting it kinda warm with wheat beer yeast.

I used munton's for a cider once, it wasn't great. but munton's yeast is for throwing away, or throwing in the boil to use as nutrient.

Used nottingham for another cider, turned out ok, maybe a little dry.

I'm not sure what's ideal for a cider - check the cider forum. If you like it dry, use a dry wine yeast like premier cuvee, montrachet, or ec-1118. If you like it less dry, I just don't know.

I have some cider that is brewing with distillers yeast right now. It should be interesting at least. :) Yes, my intention is to make rocket fuel.

My poor little sake yeast got added to a beer with over 100 gravity points. I thought, hey, the alcohol tolerance is super high, surely it can handle this? To its credit, it didn't get stuck for almost 100 points of eating. Come to think of it, it might not have even been the gravity. There was a buttload of table sugar in the brew. Either way, those suckers did their best. Even after I made a starter of Premier Cuvee to rescue the batch, it's still taking months to dry.

Right now I have some coffee stout sitting on a Weihenstephaner cake. Tastes great so far, but we'll see what the finished beer looks like. The explosive fermentation of Weihenstephaner yeast helped stir the coffee beans, I guess.

I do that all the time. I sometimes use English ale yeast for American IPAs, with a great flavor profile. And other times, use lager yeast for an IPA as well, for a super clean crisp IPA.

It really depends on the actual recipe, and the results you want.

I have some cider that is brewing with distillers yeast right now. It should be interesting at least. :) Yes, my intention is to make rocket fuel.

Distillers yeast doesn't sound like a bad idea for cider. I think I've heard of champagne yeast for that too.
The cider recipe in reference was a prohibition era one. it came along with recipes for "beer" (with "dry roasted barley" corn grits and nettles) and a dandelion wine recipe that I haven't tried.

I've been in the practice of recycling yeast from previous batches, so I'm sure that I've used the "wrong yeast" at some point.

Is there a reference out there that describes the yeasts actions?

I think this whole concept is pretty much where the idea of a Belgian IPA came from...

But to get back on topic, I brewed a mead using a saison yeast (3711) that came out amazing (drinking some now...:mug:)

I think this whole concept is pretty much where the idea of a Belgian IPA came from...

But to get back on topic, I brewed a mead using a saison yeast (3711) that came out amazing (drinking some now...:mug:)

I have to say, I do like the idea of making a brown ale or stout/porter using a hefe yeast...

I guess I've brewed APAs and ABAs with notty, which is an english ale yeast, but at 59f you don't taste the yeast. Doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between s-05 and notty at that temperature.

I made a batch of cider using K-97 which is a dry german ale strain. It came out tasting pretty darn good.

I made an oatmeal stout with lager yeast (at lager temps). Turned out fine (not great tho).

I'm doing a black IIPA with lager yeast right now. Kegged it today.

I used the yeast cake from a sour beer to make sourdough bread. That was win.

That's awesome, I actually had that idea the other day... Haven't tried it though. What was the ABV and how much aging did it need?

Brew started last Aug, 1.110 --> 1.005 with Wyeast 3711. I kept it in primary for about 3 months, and it was fully cleared, so I bottled from there. It's really good already now.

I just carbed up a batch of Munich Dunkel that I fermented with Irish Ale yeast. It's interesting to say the least, but surprisingly palatable!

I also brewed a specialty wheat stout with notty once that was absolutely the best beer I've ever made. It isnt that far our of the realm of that yeast but it made some fantastic homebrew!

a6ladd said:
I also brewed a specialty wheat stout with notty once that was absolutely the best beer I've ever made. It isnt that far our of the realm of that yeast but it made some fantastic homebrew!

Notty has a tart finish that I think would be fantastic in a dry stout. Almost like the sourish taste you get via different means in Guiness.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I have used K-97 in a Belgian Dubbel, and it was delicious - much better than the S-33. I have used a blend of WLP830 and WLP011 in a "Koelsch", and it was surprisingly good considering Koelsch is all about the yeast. Using 011 in an American Pale Ale... not so much. Bread yeast in a mead... good after about 4 years, initially nasty. Will get to taste a cider fermented with saison yeast in a couple of weeks, which should be interesting.

Eventually, I'd like to start doing 11-gallon batches and doing a lot of informal side-by-side experimentation with different yeasts.

Back