No bubbling yet in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASXL41

Reaction score
I just started my 2nd batch ever. It's an American Ale kit. I followed everything well and pitched the yeast for 15 minutes before adding it to the wort. It's been about 18 hours since I set it in the fermenting bucket and have yet to see any bubbling or even pressure showing from the airlock. I did pitch the yeast at around 80 degrees F and I'm worried it would have been too warm. How long should I wait to see if anything is going on/start worrying?

80 is a little high, but the yeast should be fine. Next time, try to get the temp down closer to 70.

Check it again in about 54 hours. Just because there is no bubbling, it doesn't mean nothing good is going on. Does it look like the float in the airlock is floating, or is it sitting flat on the stem still? Check to see if you have any big leaks by gently pushing down on the lid until the float floats a little.

It is way too early to worry. 80* is definitely too warm to pitch your yeast but, it's not going to kill your yeast. Yeast can take up to 72 hrs or more to get going. Be patient...

As above... have patience and if there is no activity and you see no change with the hydrometer, then pitch some new yeast.

But I bet all will be fine as is.

B

Now what about adding more yeast if no changes are noticed after 3 days? I'll be patient and give it another day or so, but would adding another packet of yeast help? And would the original yeast that I added create any off tastes or odors if I were to do that. I appreciate the responses so far.

The only way you're gonna know for sure is taking a gravity reading.

In other words take a gravity reading now if you'd like. Then take another one a few days from now. If it's dropping, then you know the yeast are eating the sugar peeing alcohol and farting C02. If this is the case, then you probably just have a loose lid on your bucket.

If the gravity isn't moving, then you need to repitch.

Now what about adding more yeast if no changes are noticed after 3 days? I'll be patient and give it another day or so, but would adding another packet of yeast help? And would the original yeast that I added create any off tastes or odors if I were to do that. I appreciate the responses so far.

you didn't hurt your yeast at 80 deg. give it a few days and take a gravity reading. if it hasn't changed then you can pitch more yeast.

Okay. Thanks for the help. I was just worried that more yeast would give it some off flavors.

The yeast should be ok even with the high temperature. But get the temperature down into the low to mid 60's asap. The high temps will produce fusel alcohols and off flavors.

Do a search on "swamp coolers"

I would also let this one primary at least as long as the longest time in the directions then secondary then bottle. Or, go a week or so longer in primary than the directions call for for both primary plus secondary to allow any off flavors to mellow out, then bottle.

Yeast colonies are viable up to about 140 degrees, and even individual yeast are not dibilitated until about 120 degrees.

At 80 degrees, the temp should have actually acted as a catalyst and you should have expected a faster, more vigorous fermentation, along with more yeast byproducts and off-flavors.

However, 18 hours is a little too soon to expect even a perfect fermentation to start. It's possible, but it is very typical for active fermentation to take 24-72 hours to start.

PATIENCE LITTLE ONE!!!

Yup all of the above. He said packet so I assume "dry". What brand was with the kit? Safale 04 is good for what ALES you. If you do repitch use a blow off tube just to be safe and avoid a mess if all the yeasties fight over dinner.

It was dry yeast. The directions told me to set it in water for 15 minutes to rehydrate before adding to the wort. But fear not! The morning of day 3 (60 hours in) I woke up to the following picture. So it's all good!

IMG-20111018-00169.jpg

Back