Build a Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I'd like to use the leftover ingredients I have on-hand to brew a brown ale. If you had these ingredients at your disposal, what would you use for a 5lb batch?

6.0lbs 2-Row
3.5lbs Vienna
2.0lbs DME
.75lbs Chocolate
.75lbs Briess Special Roast
.50lbs English Crystal 55L
.50lbs Crystal 40L
1.0lbs Cyrstal 20L
.50lbs Carapils

Columbus, Centennial, Styrian Goldings in quantity
1.0 oz Cascade

Yeast: S-04

Posted this in the wrong forum. Would someone mind moving it to Recipes/Ingredients? Thanks.

Search for McDoles Janet's Brown Ale and sub Columbus for No Brewer and Cent for whatever Cascade you need to make up. Looks like you are only missing the wheat which can be left out. A great beer.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Janet Brown and Moose Drool recipes. I haven't had either commercial versions, but I guess in general I'm looking to go more malty than hoppy. Although some people comment that JB is pretty balanced for the amont of hops... In any case, from those recipes it looks like I should be using some of the English Crystal, Chocolate, and maybe some Carapils. How much crystal is too much in a Brown?

Back