Can Wyeast 1056 American Ale substitute for Kolsch style yeast in this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am hoping to get 1 or 2 more brews done in my garage before the really cold weather sits in for winter. I have all of the ingredients needed for this all grain recipe which comes from an excellent book called Radical Brewing.

Bambi's Blonde Ale (4 gallon size)

7 lbs German Pilsner
1 lb Munich
0.5 lb Crystal 10L
0.5 Flaked Wheat
0.80 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
0.80 oz Hallertauer (20 min)
1.20 oz Saaz (20 min)
0.4 oz Hallertauer (0 min)
0.4 oz Saaz (0 min)

Recommended yeast: Kolsch style or Altieb
yeast on hand: Wyeast 1056 American Ale

IBU: 33.4 SG: 1.062 IBU/SG: 0.54
Meduim Body, Batch Sparge

I don't know how long liquid yeast will stayed good for if properly refrigerated so I would like to use up what I have on hand before ordering anymore. I don't have a LHBS within 80 miles of where I live.

Thanks for any input and comments you may have.

That will make a fine beer. It won't have the same flavor profile as a Kolsch yeast, but it will still be tasty.

Thanks for the advice. Hope to make this on Friday while everyone is out buying cheap electronics and other stuff we really don't need.

My goal is to make a nice blonde style ale for swmbo.

Let us know how it goes. I have wanted to whack out a kolsch for a while, but the stars have not aligned. Last time it was going to happen the LHBS was fresh out of kolsch yeast. Was tempted to push on, but instead I pussed off.

And remember, people can usually get Cal-Ale down to the mid 50s without any problems. In general people encourage you to first get fermentation going in the low/mid 60s, and then pull it down 1 degree per hour.

Back