Recipe critique, please: Belgian Dark Strong Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Inspired by the Allagash Odyssey I had last night, I've been working up a recipe for an oak aged, Belgian dark strong wheat beer. (God, I love Allagash.) What do you think of the following? The goal is to have it be seriously complex, but let the yeast and oak shine through. I've based the recipe on what I can gather about Odyssey online.

Grist
(OG: ~1.086; FG:1.010)
45% Wheat (possible combo between white and red wheat)
40% Belgian Pils
2% Belgian Aromatic
2% CaraVienne
2% Special B
9% Candi sugar (dark)

Hops
(IBU:30)
Styrian Goldings (60 min)

Yeast: WLP575

Mash at 149F for 1.5 hours

Ferment starting at 68F and let it ride upward. Age for 6-10 months with Medium Toast American Oak.

Out of curiosity, what wheat did you use, and do you have any suggestions for what I should use here? My main experience with wheat is flaked wheat in my wit recipe, but I suspect a good amount of wheat malt should be used for something big like this.

My thought is to maybe break down the 45% wheat portion into 25% wheat malt and 20% flaked wheat.

I used German wheat as well as some crystal & chocolate wheat. Here is my grain bill. I think I would have preferred to use dark sugar in lieu of the chocolate:

9 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 49.32 %
4 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 21.92 %
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Fr (1.8 SRM) 21.92 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) 2.74 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Crystal (66.0 SRM) 2.74 %
4.0 oz Caramunich - 120L (120.0 SRM) 1.37 %

You'll get more flavor out of malted wheat. The flaked might get lost in a dark, heavy beer. I think a split of light and dark wheat and some white wheat would work nicely.

Thanks much. Based on your suggestions, I looked into this last night and think I'm going to do the red/white wheat malt split I floated in the original post. Seems that you're right about getting more flavor out of the malt and I definitely want it to come through along with the yeast and oak. Flaked just won't work here, I think.

Not sure when I'm going to get to this, but Allagash claims that it ages the Odyssey for 6-10 months before releasing. I guess I'll have to check back in on this thread in early 2011. :)

Hello, thread resurrection!
How did that turn out? Looking forward to do something similar but with danstar belle saison (I already have that).

Cheers from Italy! :mug:
Piteko

Back