Stick with NB's kit instructions or modify process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Picked up NB's Pro extract kit for Surly Furious.

Kit instructions are basically to do the boil with 2.5 gallons water, adding 6lbs of LME at the start then 2lbs of DME towards the end.

I've seen lots of discussion on trying to do higher volume boils (I can do 4.5-5 gal boil) and doing more extract as late additions.

However, since this kit has, in theory, has been developed in coordination with Surly, I'm conflicted on following the directions explicitly or deviating with the larger boil qty and more late addition of extract.

Thoughts, advice?

Kit instructions are quite generic and make some assumptions that may or may not be true in your case. If the end result if your process is volume called for by the batch, you should be fine. If you do a larger volume boil, you may get slightly more bitterness/hoppyness due to higher utilization, but I doubt it would be excessive. Keep in mind the larger boil volume will also take longer to cool; do you have a chiller?

I had your same concerns when I started brewing a couple of years ago.

After a few kits, and lots of reading here on HBT, the only parts of the kit instructions I now use is the time/temp they tell you do steep the grains and the hops schedule. Boil as big as you can, add the malt extracts late in the boil, leave the beer in the primary for 3~4 weeks, prime and bottle condition / or keg, and enjoy the results of your labor!

Kit instructions are quite generic and make some assumptions that may or may not be true in your case. If the end result if your process is volume called for by the batch, you should be fine. If you do a larger volume boil, you may get slightly more bitterness/hoppyness due to higher utilization, but I doubt it would be excessive. Keep in mind the larger boil volume will also take longer to cool; do you have a chiller?

Yes, I have an immersion coil chiller.

Extra/added hop character is the concern I have. Considering the Furious is a fair hop load in and of itself with 2.5oz Amarillo and 2oz Warrior (plus 8.5 oz dry hop) I was/am concerned to add too much extra bitterness/hop using late addition & bigger boil.

The late additions will be fine; if anything I'd reduce the early full boil additions a bit...

I've done 6 NB kits to date and have done full 6.5g pre-boil volume on all 6 of them. Nothing to worry about in doing a full boil with those kits.

Up it to a full boil and u'll be fine as long as u have a chiller. The basic idea of the smaller boil is for people who don't have the ability to get a full 5 gallons boil whether it be due to kettle size, electric range, etc.

The full boil will leave u less likely to have a darker then desired color for ur beer.

My kettle isn't large enough to do a true full boil (the full five gallons plus anticipated boil off), however I did 4gal boil with late additions. Do need to get a larger kettle though. Anyway, got it done last night, pitched probably about 10-10:30pm and had good fermentation going this AM.

Checked now just getting home and glad I had the blowoff setup connected. Definitely some blowoff residue inside the hose with a bit of foam now and again going into the airlock container. I think it's pretty much at high krausen right now. It would have been a real mess if not for the blowoff setup. First blowoff experience and a (relatively speaking) positive one thanks to what I've learned here on HBT.

Picked up NB's Pro extract kit for Surly Furious.

Kit instructions are basically to do the boil with 2.5 gallons water, adding 6lbs of LME at the start then 2lbs of DME towards the end.

I've seen lots of discussion on trying to do higher volume boils (I can do 4.5-5 gal boil) and doing more extract as late additions.

However, since this kit has, in theory, has been developed in coordination with Surly, I'm conflicted on following the directions explicitly or deviating with the larger boil qty and more late addition of extract.

Thoughts, advice?

I would add the 2LBS of DME first (60min) and add the 6LBS of LME in the last 5 min or flame out.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw that you already brewed this batch. Did you follow the recipe exact?

No, I deviated.

Started with 4gal water, added 3lb LME at 60 min then added 3lb LME and the 2lb DME at 15 min.

Back