Bottle harvested yeast storage and starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triat00

Reaction score
So, Ive read a lot of thread and didnt find exactly what Im looking fo.

Im pretty much new on harvesting/washing/starter and I cant figure out how to store properly my harvested yeast and keep yeast from my starter. Here are my questions:

1- I harvested yeast from a bottle last weak and I step it up to a 1,5L stater (enough for my batch) because I was supposed to brew tomorow. I have to flight to an other city and I dont know what to do with the starter. Put in the fridge, decant, put in a masson jar and then to an other stater next week? Any ideas? What you you do when you harvest yeast from a bottle and you dont brew with it for few weeks?

2- Ive made a stater (2L)with Wyeat1214 last weekend and pitch it all in the fermenter. Ill wash that yeast for an other brew but, next time, can I make a bigger stater(2,5L), pitch the appropriate amount of yeast and keep the 0,5L to do an other starter few days later?

Thanks for your help

So, Ive read a lot of thread and didnt find exactly what Im looking fo.

Im pretty much new on harvesting/washing/starter and I cant figure out how to store properly my harvested yeast and keep yeast from my starter. Here are my questions:

1- I harvested yeast from a bottle last weak and I step it up to a 1,5L stater (enough for my batch) because I was supposed to brew tomorow. I have to flight to an other city and I dont know what to do with the starter. Put in the fridge, decant, put in a masson jar and then to an other stater next week? Any ideas? What you you do when you harvest yeast from a bottle and you dont brew with it for few weeks?

2- Ive made a stater (2L)with Wyeat1214 last weekend and pitch it all in the fermenter. Ill wash that yeast for an other brew but, next time, can I make a bigger stater(2,5L), pitch the appropriate amount of yeast and keep the 0,5L to do an other starter few days later?

Thanks for your help

1) Yeah just put it in the fridge and leave it. It will be fine for a couple weeks with no problem at all. After that the viability will start to decline a little. If necessary, just decant the spent wort and add a little more wort the day before brew day to step it back up again.

2) Absolutely. A lot of people make larger than needed starters and save some for future batches.

Plus when you make your larger starter, and save some of the yeast for later, you get clean first generation yeast. I do this now all of the time. I used to re-pitch when possible, but felt uncomfortable with sanitation. I sanitize and store my yeast in a marked White Labs vial. I fill it to an original mark so I have some kind of an idea of how much yeast I'm starting with. Most of my beers are around 6% and I think the yeast isn't as healthy as yeast from a 1.040 starter.

1) Yeah just put it in the fridge and leave it. It will be fine for a couple weeks with no problem at all. After that the viability will start to decline a little. If necessary, just decant the spent wort and add a little more wort the day before brew day to step it back up again.

2) Absolutely. A lot of people make larger than needed starters and save some for future batches.

When I put it in the fridge, do I cap the bottle or I juste let the aluminium foil? Fridge are filled with nasties,... I think

Thanks both of you!

When I put it in the fridge, do I cap the bottle or I juste let the aluminium foil? Fridge are filled with nasties,... I think

Thanks both of you!

Just leave it covered with foil. You can push the foil down tightly all the way around if you're worried. It will not be a problem at all.

Back