The barleywine I fell in love with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
I've been hit or miss, mostly miss, with barley wines...they just don't really fit my palette... I tried Avery's Hog Heaven barley wine last night...WOW! Much more hop flavor and aroma than I'm used to in a traditional BW. My friend tasted it first, and said "wow, a nice hoppy beer." I almost laughed at him, thinking "It's a barley wine, MAN, they're all malt!"

Shows what I know! I'm the first person to admit I'm wrong, and I'll be damned, this was a deliciously hoppy, yet balanced, drinkable yet potent BW!

I searched around a bit and found this info...

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13157

I'm dying to try a BW, and I might as well clone this one, as I really, REALLY loved it! Here's a question though...

I know BW's need some aging...but with the heavy dry hopping, does that aging process shorten up a bit, or is it still the typical months/year long process?

Anyone else try this brew?

I've liked Sierra Nevada's Barleywine because it usually has plenty of hop flavor when it's young.

I've had one by Right Brain brewing at a beer festival before that was great and it was only a few weeks old. The hops were very noticeable and nicely balanced the malty sweetness. Too bad that was a one-time deal.

I'll second Bigfoot barleywine. I couldn't stand the hot, sickly sweet taste of the barleywines I've had before, but that beer definitely changed my opinion about the style. And I probably never would have tried it if it weren't for all the praise it gets on here.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Hog Heaven, it sounds pretty similar in terms of having a good balance to it.

Sorry I can't really help with the question, but I would imagine as with most big beers it would still benefit from some extended aging to mellow things out. Don't quote me on that though. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back