Not bubbling after 24 hours. Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put together a 1G batch of cider yesterday at about 6 pm. I checked a little while ago and noticed that there was foam on the top of the cider, but I cannot see or hear any bubbles. This is my first batch with real cider so I'm unsure if everything is going correctly. I have another batch with Whole Foods Apple Juice using Nottingham Ale yeast and that is bubbling away with no froth on top of the juice. This is why I'm concerned. Both are sitting in a room about 66-68 F.

For this batch I used,
Pectic Enzyme
Pasteurized, Preservative free Pressed Apple Cider
6 oz sucrose.
Safale S-04

This is how it looks currently. I can try to get a better picture later on.
35lxlbb.jpg

Does this look ok? Before I waste my money on 5 gallons of pressed cider, I would like to make sure this turns out ok.

Thanks

It looks great. Cider doesn't ferment crazy like beers.

6256258592_61190c6c18_z.jpg

Still foam at the top and I still don't hear any active fermentation.

6255728903_7ffaaaef46_z.jpg

The bottle at the right is bubbling and no foam is being produced at all.

Looks fine to me. When I have used just pressed cider I have gotten that "foam" but when I have used apple juice I have not had that foam. I have 4 gallons going right now with just juice and I have bubbles but no foam, so again, it will be fine.

You need to take a hydrometer reading. Just because you dont have airlock activity doesnt mean you dont have fermentation. How old was the yeast?

So the batch I was worried about is bubbling away now. Getting about 1 bubble per second. The brown foamy crap at the top is now gone and the color of the cider is getting clearer.

The other batch, which I set up a couple days before the one I posted in this thread, still has no airlock action, but I can definitely see fermentation taking place. I can hear and see tons of tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom of the carboy. Is the non-existent airlock action in this batch ok?

Obviously, I'm new to this process. Thanks for all your help.

i had one of my buckets go 7 days without any activity, re-pitched with d-47 and then two days later, activity. no bubbles in the airlock, but it was fermenting. wasn't super worried about the length of time because it was sulfited. and i had 5 other full cider buckets to worry about.

I would have to say the air lock is not set right. Must be leaking around the bung. I would re-set it.

I would have to say the air lock is not set right. Must be leaking around the bung. I would re-set it.

Very weird. The airlock was completely set. It wouldn't move with a slight touch. I pulled it out for a split second and reset it. Now its bubbling away. Smells like sulfur.

Thanks.

Cool. Sometimes it the little things. Most the times the smell will go away. Even if it doesn't it could taste just fine.

I always use yeast nutrient for my cider and it takes off like a rocket. If I use fresh pressed apple cider, it will spew all kinds of goopiness out of the airlock so, a blowoff tube is what I use. This stuff ferments out rather quickly.

Back