Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the store brand of oxygen cleaner that is cheaper and works just as well.
Last week I bought a 20 ounce size at The Dollar Tree for (surprize) one dollar.

Does it have any sanitizing properties, or is it just a cleanser? I don't want to use chlorine, and although one step has been working for me it definitely is not a sanitizer per-se. If oxy-clean will work, it would ease my mind come every bottling/brewing/transfer day.

rewster451 said:
Does it have any sanitizing properties, or is it just a cleanser? I don't want to use chlorine, and although one step has been working for me it definitely is not a sanitizer per-se. If oxy-clean will work, it would ease my mind come every bottling/brewing/transfer day.

It isn't a sanitizer. It is a cleanser only.

use Iodophor or Star-san to sanitize.

I dump in one scoop and fill with water, then let it sit for a couple of days. Whoever originally made the suggestion - thanks! Works great for getting rid of odors and stains.

Then a little Iodophor or Star San (after a cold rinse) and it's ready for round 2.

My Mum had a tub from Costco so I got a sample.

I've put 2 tablespoons in the carboy and filled with warm water. Does that sound right? Do you scrub with a brush or just rinse and sanitise?

Ta.

Cheesefood said:
I dump in one scoop and fill with water, then let it sit for a couple of days. Whoever originally made the suggestion - thanks! Works great for getting rid of odors and stains.

Then a little Iodophor or Star San (after a cold rinse) and it's ready for round 2.
Letting it sit for a couple of days isn't helpful. Oxyclean works fairly quickly, and within several hours it is no longer effective. By that time, the oxygen has been released/outgassed and you aren't getting any more cleaning activity.

I tried some last night. It made it super easy to get labels off. The only problem was that it left a tough, gritty haze on the bottles. I'm hoping it will come off in the sanitizing process.

A Jet Clean or similar bottle washer gets rid of all internal grit or haze. Wear some rubber gloves and rinse under hot water to get rid of the outer residue.

My experience is that a 2-3 hour soak with 1 scoop of Oxyclean per 5 gallons of hot water removes labels, stains, mold, and all forms of visible baddies in bottles.

I find that oxyclean gets rid of some labels (eg ones for big commercial beers) but the labels on bottles from micro brewerys and the like just stay on and you have to spend ages scrubbing them off! :(

Vinegar right out of the bottle, or diluted?

I use it right from the bottle. Soak the object for a few minutes and rinse well.

Back