The Bitter End Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemE

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for this fine brew? I've emailed the brewery (just now) but I have yet to ever receive a response from any craft brewery regarding recipes/tips. This beer exhibits the most impressive lacing of any beer I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. The description online is quite vague only disclosing the following:

OG: 1.055 (13.5° Plato)
FG: 1.015 (calculated from OG and abv)
abv: 5.2%
IBU: 36
BU/GU: 0.65 (calculated from OG and IBUs)

Hops: 3 American varieties

The color is 6-7 so close to the bottom of the range of 10A.

Bump. Is this beer so narrowly distributed that no one else has tried it?

Oh and so far no response from the brewery. Do craft brewers really share their recipes with homebrewers? I'm starting to wonder if that is a fairy tale...

EDIT: Two Brother's Brewery will share their recipe. Stand up guys in my book!

Wow so the brewery just emailed me the complete recipe! These guys are awesome and this beer is excellent. Anyone who has the opportunity should definitely grab a six pack of this. Thanks Two Brothers!

They emailed it to me. It was months and months ago so let me dig it out of my email. I havent made it though. Hmm, maybe it will be my next pale ale.

If you dont hear back from me, PM me and remind me.

Oops, just saw your post saying they got it to you. OK, well lets see if it matches mine! Because I know they have given out significantly different versions of their Cane and Ebel.

Just had it. Really enjoy it.

Either of you guys want to post the recipe up on the site?

Can someone shoot me a pm with this Bitter End Clone, I'd like to get a batch going for my next session beer; AG- recipe if you would mind sharing,..

Thanks,

Bighops

Did some searching instead of starting a new post so if someone has this recipe I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Forrest.

Bump.

I emailed 2 Brothers back on Sunday. I see they gave ChemE the recipe back in 09 but I have not heard back from ChemE or 2 Brothers yet. Are breweries going away from this or do they just not like me?

From the brewery:

Grain Bill

79% Base 2 Row Malt
7% CaraHell Malt
7% Crystal 10
3% Crystal 30
3% Melanoidin Malt
1% Biscuit Malt

Hops
75 minutes left with Centennial 10 IBU
40 minutes left with Centennial 6 IBU
30 minutes left with Cascade 6 IBU
20 minutes left with Centennial 5 IBU
10 minutes left with Mt. Hood 3 IBU
Kettle off with Cascade 2 IBU

Mash: 152F
Boil: 75 minutes

Starting gravity 1.060
Finishing gravity 1.014

Dry hop with 1oz each of Cascade and Centennial per 5 gallons.

first, thanks for the post.
i would love to know how the recipe turned out.

second, i'd like to convert this o a lme recipe?
i get the 75% conversion rate for grain to liquid - but where do i start for a 5 gallon batch? and if i have it right, i multiply the ibu rating by the alpha % for the hops to find out how much to throw in, correct?
if i run the conversion as follows, will it be too heavy for this apa?

Grain Bill:
6lbs. light lme
.5 lb. Carahel Malt
.5 lb. Crystal 10
.25 Crystal 30
.25 Melanoidin
handful of Biscuit

75 min. boil as prescribed. Adding hops . . .

75 min. 1 oz. Centennial
40 min. .5 oz. Centennial
30 min. .36 oz. Cascade
20 min. .5 oz. Centennial
10 min. .15 oz. Mt. Hood
Kettle off .12 oz. Cascade

Dry Hop with 1oz. each Cascade & Centennial

any thoughts?

Bump.

I emailed 2 Brothers back on Sunday. I see they gave ChemE the recipe back in 09 but I have not heard back from ChemE or 2 Brothers yet. Are breweries going away from this or do they just not like me?

Can you either PM me with this recipe or post it? Just had this excellent beer and I know they don't sell this in the Baltimore area.

Back