6.2% Brix, is that possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
Let me first say that I am not new to AG brewing (since 1997).

Yesterday, I brewed Yooper's AG Oatmeal Stout and added cocoa powder (paste) to the boil.

After chilling, I got a 6/2% Brix reading from my new refractometer. I did not take a hydrometer reading as I checked the conversion after cleaning up.

I mashed for 90 minutes and did a 60 minute boil per Yooper's instructions, but based on the conversion, I got nothing in the way of potential alcohol in the wort.

So far, about 18 hours and not noticable activity in the airlock.

Besides the refractometer being off and it is brand new, or me being totally stupid and not able to read the chart, how can I do this?

I just did a hydrometer reading and now its right on the money and in synch with Yooper's numbers: OG 1.052. The Brix was only at 11.8. I need to think this over as the conversion is not right. I calabrated the Refractometer, maybe I just need more practice with temperature equations.

thanks for the info. Seems to be on target now. Must have been operator error:confused:

Tastes like chocolate beer now. Think its gona be awesome.

Latest posts

Back