moscato, cognac wine and ice wine recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
i've never made wine before, but theres a first time for every thing!!! does any one have a moscato recipe??? my wife loves this wine, we're in germany right now and thats about all she drinks. me, i'm not much on wine, but i finally found one i like. it a cognac wine, i love it, it doesn't have the acidic throat burn like most wines. and also, i need an ice wine recipe. any help for your guy and gals would be greatly received!!!

Moscato is Italian wine made from Muscat grapes - grab a wine kit and have a go with a similar style product if you can't get the grapes and press them yourself! No idea what 'Cognac wine' or 'Ice wine' are though.....

ice wine is a german wine made from the grapes after the first freeze, very sweet desert wine

Never heard about ice wine before. Is it sweet german dessert stuff that's commercially made? Also any clues on the 'Cognac wine'?

Cognac wine sound's like a sweet sherry to me, an aquired taste!

its a very tasty wine, if you like congac, you like this. plus it doesn't have the throat burn like most wines!!

justbrewit said:
its a very tasty wine, if you like congac, you like this. plus it doesn't have the throat burn like most wines!!

You've mentioned this throat burn thing with wine earlier in the thread. Is it you just don't like dry wines? For me personally drinking sweet wines often seems to leave a coating in my mouth that's just pure sugar and not a lot else!

Try a decent German DRY Riesling wine. It's a eye opener to the sweet rubbish those guys have been flogging to death in Britain for the last thirty years!

True - REALLY Cheap Dry wines (Especially White) are the worst. Even MORE TERRIBLE in Pub/Clubs/Bars by the glass.

I just hope justbrewit can find a decent bottle - If your still out there please go look in the German supermarkets when you get chance!

i just really can't stand wine!!! i found 2 i like. thier super sweet. i think i'll stick to beer!!! :D

Caplan said:
True - REALLY Cheap Dry wines (Especially White) are the worst. Even MORE TERRIBLE in Pub/Clubs/Bars by the glass.

I just hope justbrewit can find a decent bottle - If your still out there please go look in the German supermarkets when you get chance!

I've been told that most of the wine from pumps in the pubs in the UK take a grand total of 2 weeks to produce and the actual cost of product per glass is less than 5p.

You can buy a 7 day wine kit!

justbrewit said:
i just really can't stand wine!!! i found 2 i like. thier super sweet. i think i'll stick to beer!!! :D

Probably best mate! Good luck! :)

I understand the personal hell you'll have if you let SWMBO down. Most german wine kits are probably medium/towards sweet - grab a wine kit from back home/HBS/ebay and have a go, age it a bit longer and then add a bit of sugar if it's still unpalatable for her tastes.

Or just divorce her and spend the wine kit money on beer.... :D

My "SWMBO" likes the cheap still moscatos like you can find in most supermarkets over here. (Barefoot is her favorite.)

I'm trying the muscat concentrate from Alexander: http://californiaconcentrate.com/grapeconcentrate.htm

One 46oz can plus 12 cups of sugar in 5 gallons of water should get you to a sg of about 1.069. Add a little pectic enzyme, tannin, nutrient, and acid and throw in some Red Star Premier Cuvee, a second small dose of yeast nutrient after 4 or 5 days and you should get down to a sg of about .095 by two weeks. If I'm right, that should be somewhere around 10% ABV? Rack it to a carboy and dose with sorbistat, potassium metabisulfite, and sparkalloid, let it rest for a couple of weeks, then backsweeten the bejeesus out of it and bottle.

I dissolved a cup of sugar in a cup of water, boiled and topped with the dry wine up to a half gallon for a test run, and that brought the sg to 1.040 and she seemed to like it quite a bit.

You can find the Alexander concentrate from a few different sources on the 'net, so I'd imagine you can find at least one that will ship to Europe.

Hope this helps you some.

Back