Filtering for transport (media size q)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erykmynn

Reaction score
My fiance and I are brewing beer for our wedding coming up in a couple months.

As a practitioner of "dirty kegging" (whether voluntary or not) I am at a sort of a crossroads. I have yet to successfully produce a sediment-free keg, wheter after a secondary, I've tried cold crash and transfer, etc etc. I'm sure I could get it with time, but time is not on my side any longer.

So I think I'm going to filter these so that when the kegs get moved, the beer doesn't kick up all kinds of crud. I'm going to order some of the 10" polyspun filters that go into a household housing.

I just need the beer to be scrubbed enough that I can transfer it to the other side of town. I will cold crash the beer first, and try to pour off the first cruddy pint before filtering (trust me I will still get more treasures).

I can imagine several scenarios, and don't know which will be the best for my situation, so other filter-users please chime in!

1) single 5 micron just to get the large offending crap.

2) single 1 micron to get it nice and clear (but prone to clog?)

3) dual-stage where it goes through a 5 then a 1

I can see myself using this for homebrew events and parties in the future, but not for my home-bound kegs.

Have you tried using gelatin?? I just started using it about 5 batches ago and my kegs are clean at the bottom when the beer is gone. Works better than I expected and much cheaper and easier than filtering.

I've used it (with indeterminable success, on a cider)

What method do you use for your gelatin?

I regularly use a 1 micron filter for "bright" beers (e.g., pilsners) and a 5 micron for everything else. The 1 micron leaves virtually no sediment and the 5 micron leaves a thin film on the bottom of the keg.

Either way, no clarity problems during transport.

Way not just jumper it over to another keg before transport? Then, there is less of a need to filter it.

And, of course, if you filter it there is no need to jumper to another keg.

Fixed the logic for ya. ;)

Way not just jumper it over to another keg before transport? There is no need to filter it.
see my original post
erykmynn said:
I have yet to successfully produce a sediment-free keg, wheter after a secondary, I've tried cold crash and transfer, etc etc. I'm sure I could get it with time, but time is not on my side any longer.

I've used it (with indeterminable success, on a cider)

What method do you use for your gelatin?

I heat up about a pint of water in an erlenmeyer flask, let it cool for a few minutes, add 1 packet of gelatin, mix and chill, then add to the fermenter and cold crash for 5 days. I've even added straight to the primary and it turns the beer crystal clear. As an ultimate test I used it to clear a hefeweizen to a kristall weisse. Worked like a charm. Super clear beer and no sediment in the keg. Super easy. I can't remember which episode it was but Tasty McDole on the BN once stated that he was going to stop filtering and only use gelatin.

I don't filter all that often (except ciders), but 5 microns does the job.

5 micron is on the way, and it sounds like it should do the trick! Should I filter and/or carb soon after kegging, or close to the date of serving? I don't know if I'll be able to keep them cold, except to crash, filter and carb. they may have to come back up to room temp before serving.....

Back