Apfelwein Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you like your Apfelwein?

• Don't carb don't back sweeten

• Don't carb but sweeten

• Carb and don't back sweeten

• Carb and sweeten

Results are only viewable after voting.

svengoat

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting within a month of bottling my first batch and wanted to know what's the favorite way to make it.. To carb or not to carb?? To back sweeten or not?? Could you post in the poll to choose a winner?

Definitely carbed, makes for a very refreshing summer beverage. However, I added a can of frozen concentrate to my batch, so that sweetens it up without the necessity of backsweetening.

Instead of backsweetening, just let it ferment and condition for 3 months. It's amazing the apple flavor that comes back after proper conditioning. The alcohol and yeast flavor fades, and you are left with a nice light apple flavor. I prefer mine carbed and cold, but still and chilled is also very good.

I carb and do not backsweeten. I treat it just like a batch of beer.

The concentrate that I add will indeed ferment, but just like TwoHeadsBrewing said, letting it sit for 3 months or so will allow the apple flavor to return considerably, muting the yeast and alcohol slightly. The additional apple flavor that the can of concentrate adds makes it a bit more... "apple-y". Yummy!

I believe it is traditionally served both ways actually.

I do not touch the stuff for at least 7 months. I find it not all that pleasant before that, but very good after. 7 months is the magic number for my process.

Is there a way to put a Ralf Nader option in that poll? I'll be making my first batch this weekend and I'd like to see what the general consensus is on this.

I've tried it every way and my favorite is carbed with a touch of simple syrup or grenadine. I've got a keg back from the start of august '08 that just won't die. Not a fan I guess. *shrug*

I believe it is traditionally served both ways actually.

I do not touch the stuff for at least 7 months. I find it not all that pleasant before that, but very good after. 7 months is the magic number for my process.

Yeah? Not in the places I was in. If someone wanted it sparkling they added sparkling water. They called it a "saure", or a sour aepple, with lemonade it's a "susse", or sweet.

<edit>Checking online, it's called "Apfelperlwein" if it's carbed, not considered the same thing on the German sites I'm looking at.

Definitely carbed, makes for a very refreshing summer beverage. However, I added a can of frozen concentrate to my batch, so that sweetens it up without the necessity of backsweetening.
Anyone have any idea how many cans of apple juice concentrate to carbonate 5 gals?

I've only made one batch but I liked it carbed. I took someones advice and cut it with some sprite when I drank it and it was awesome. I've got three or four one-liter bottles left. They have been around for almost a full year now.

mine's only been in primary for 5 weeks plus a few days. when it was at the 4 week date, i started stealing little 8oz cup fulls out of it every other day. its very good not carbed. i intend to carb though in a few more weeks. i found mango juice at costco the other day with no additives.... might try mango apfelwein next.... but thats not really apfelwein anymore is it? mangoewein?

I'm at 4 weeks now and I'm seeing it clearing nicely now.. Dunno if I have the inner strength to let it go 7 months tho..LOL I see my plans are gonna include bottle carbing and not back sweetening.. Thanks for the input guys and gals..:rockin:

Anyone have any idea how many cans of apple juice concentrate to carbonate 5 gals?

About 1/2 a can. Read the nutritional info and do the math. You want ~28 grams of sugar per gallon. It usually works out to 1 "serving" per gallon. Cans usually contain 8 or 12 servings, IIRC.

About 1/2 a can. Read the nutritional info and do the math. You want ~28 grams of sugar per gallon. It usually works out to 1 "serving" per gallon. Cans usually contain 8 or 12 servings, IIRC.

Perfect, thanks. I am planning on carbing at least 2-3 gallons for taste testing.

I carb the crap out of it... but that's personal preference. I have one 5gal that is about 9-10 months deep in secondary, and I plan on doing the same with another batch.

i just bottled some up. 2 gallons i left still. i plan on drinking one of the still ones so I can get my fix now, leave 1 still gallon to age, and then i carbed the other 3 gallons in 1 liter swing top bottles. I planed on back sweetening it with lactose but i forgot to add it in my bottling bucket. Its darn tasty still and not sweet. Worst case scenario I can add a touch of sprite to it or even splenda.

This is going to be something I am going to have to repeat.:rockin:

Back