torpedo extra IPA (sierra nevada)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmatt

Reaction score
is da bomb.

there is nothing better.
i am sold. i need a clone recipe, or i will be forced to find it myself.

this is THE BEST commerical beer evar!

if anyone can help, please do so.
I must brew this.

i am in drunken bliss right now. and tomorrow is a school day. doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

took me a long time to go back, and fix this post to make it readable... the flavor is top notch. 5 beers down, and im wasted for a work night...damnit!!!!!!!!

but, i must brew dis stuff.

help a brotha out!

if you have not had, go get a sixer!

stone IPA is kaka in comparison, this the brew of the gods.

i might have to email sierra nevada, not that i will get anywhere....but i must brew something this good.

that is all. time for bed.... but, i have one left!!!!!!!!!

i must not leave it all alone in the dark, horrible fridge. i must drink it first. i must.
it is my duty!

well. it is gonne be a rough day at work tomorrow isnt it?

crap. 5:30 a.m. will be here before i know it.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I GUESS EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OPINION.

woops, thought i turned caps off....

ohh well.
i goin to open the last bottle.

grassy?

nah, i have grassy in a simcoe smash i hope gets better.

torpedo? nah, not grassy TOO ME.

of course, everyone has a different pallet.

just in case, i am actually on my way to pour the last bottle to "test" this "grassy" claim. for no other reason mind you!!!!!!

not because I want it, no.... just for science damnit!

This thread is awesome, and has convinced me to find some of this.

As for brewing it, a quick google found this page - Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

alcohol content 7.2% by volume
yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.8 Plato
bittering hops Magnum
ending gravity 4.6 Plato
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units 70
dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, Carapils & Crystal

I thought it was pretty good but only had a sixer between a friend and myself. I'll have to get another to really taste it and see exactly how I feel about out. my initial impressions were great though. my brew buddy didn't really care for it. not an IPA fan that one. he mostly likes the wheats and maltier brews.

I bought this instead of the ESB that I was going to try. Loved it. Been trying all the SN beers lately. This is the best so far under the Pale Ale for me. Still have a few to sample though.

BTW, my first attempt is in the Primary right now (IPA) using all my SN bottles when done.

I liked the Torpedo way better than the ESB.

In fact, I think for the price, Torpedo might be the one.
It's about $2 cheaper per six than anything else I would
choose and better than others in it's price range.

I thought Torpedo was fantastic!

I haven't seen citra hops for sale anywhere, actually. I'm not quite sure where those would come from.

If somebody dreams up a good clone, you bet I'll be making it, though!

I liked the Torpedo way better than the ESB.

In fact, I think for the price, Torpedo might be the one.
It's about $2 cheaper per six than anything else I would
choose and better than others in it's price range.

I agree that for the price it is a good choice. However, I wish they would offer it in 12 packs with the same price as the Pale Ale (as they do with the 6 pack).
I would really be sold then.

Any one see this in 12 packs?

looks like i need some crystal, and to see wtf this citra is.....
all the rest is easy enough to come by.
time to call the lhbs for some crystal, and ill use cascade for this citra stuff.

alcohol content 7.2% by volume
yeast Ale Yeast
beginning gravity 17.8 Plato
bittering hops Magnum
ending gravity 4.6 Plato
finishing hops Magnum & Crystal
bitterness units 70
dry hopping Magnum, Crystal & Citra
malts Two-row Pale, Carapils & Crystal

Just playing around with Beersmith I got to this... I still need to taste the beer to figure out the aroma/flavor additions. The color is a little off as well...

Hop Torpedo
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/11/2009
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Brewer: Tony
Boil Size: 11.45 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
25 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.29 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
3.00 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 58.1 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.2 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.076 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.36 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 72.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.9 SRM Color: Color

you are not going to be able to replicate a clone, maybe something close but not truly torpedo. SN shoots there wort like a "torpedo" through a column of hops dry hopping it, this is where the intense but different hop flavor comes from that can have a green/grassy hop aroma.

good point hopsalot.

what i found on citra hops.... not at all what i expected. this may not be so easy to replicate at all without them.

The new hop variety CITRA ?:
The variety Citra, with a alpha acid content
between 10-12% and an oil content of 2-3 %
originated from a cross between the female
European noble aroma variety Hallertauer
mittelfrueh and a male that was derived from the
variety known as U.S. Tettnanger. Citra is 50%
Hallertauer mittelfrueh, 25% U.S. Tettnanger and
the remaining 25% is East Kent Golding,
Bavarian, Brewers Gold and other unknown hops.
Citra has a special flavor and aroma that it
imparts to beer. Depending on the brewing
process and the hopping rate, the flavors and
aromas of beers hopped with Citra might range
from grapefruit to lime, melon, goos

I would sub cascade for the citra. You won't get citra this year unless you steal it from SN.

I got hints of pineapple and mango that I don't get from cascade but really, the unique citra character wasn't that big a part of the beer. I'm hoping they feature it more in this or another beer next year.

According to what I have read they have almost all of the citra hop that exists (both planted and harvested) and they only have a bale. Clearly they aren't using much per batch since Torpedo is going to be available year round.

No 12s I've seen.

It's a seasonal release, isn't it?

Regardless, even the pale ale is great for the price.

I'm pretty sure the Torpedo is a new year round beer from SN. Personally I liked it but wasn't floored. I think it's too much magnum personally.

Sierra Nevada Introduces Year-Round Extra IPA
Chico, CA (1/05/09) - For a brewery known for its use of hops, it seems out of character to wait nearly 30 years to produce a year-round IPA. Torpedo is worth the wait. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is proud to announce the release of Torpedo Extra IPA as the newest addition to its year-round roster of beers. This is the first full-production IPA to come from the brewery and the first change in its year-round lineup in over a decade.

- full article

Why did it take so long to introduce a year-round IPA? The brewery has spent years experimenting, searching for a way to highlight bold flavors without resorting to hop extracts or pellets. Sierra Nevada has brewed with 100% whole-cone hops for 29 years with the belief that it makes a better, more natural tasting beer. Whole-cone hops offer subtle flavors and complexities that are unavailable in processed form. Rather than sacrifice flavor, they invented a way to do it better.

Torpedo celebrates the brewery’s dedication to 100% whole-cone hops all the way through the brewing process. The name itself comes from a device called the “hop torpedo” that was conceived, designed and developed at the brewery. The result is a revolutionary method of dry-hopping that harnesses the vital hop oils and resins that lead to an unusually flavorful and aromatic beer featuring the full, nuanced range of spicy complexity that hops have to offer. Designed with a mixture of hop varietals, each with their own unique character, Torpedo Extra IPA has layers of flavors ranging from citrus, herbs, black pepper and pine, with delicate hints of tropical fruit.

Torpedo is an assertive American IPA deep reddish-gold in color, with a smooth and bready malt presence and over-the-top hop aromas. The beer has a solid bitterness and a massive hop flavor, yet remains easy drinking with a pleasant dry finish. Torpedo Extra IPA will be available for hop fans nationwide in 6-pack bottles starting late January 2009.

Lots of cases of Torpedo here at the Costco (@$23.99/case)...of course it is right next to the brewery.

I've tried it from the keg at the brewery and various brew fests around...never got the grassy taste smell.

Great stuff...my new favorite SNV beer...I think I'll have another bottle now!

I picked up a sixer of this the other day and loved it! Just goes to show that you can have an awesome I.P.A. with a great malt body. Another tasty brew from those fools over at sierra nevada. They never seem to let me down.

My lovely wife just got a me a Sierra Nevada mixer 6-pack consisting of 2 Torpedo's, 2 ESB's and 2 Bigfoot Barleywine's (these were sold as singles, it's not an SN pack). Absolutely loved this Torpedo as I'm a big fan of IPA's. This might be my top IPA right now although I have a Bell's 2-Hearted Ale in the fridge I have not tried yet. I may make my next brew a clone (attempt) of the Torpedo......

I tried it for the first time last night.

Disappointed.

I may have an off batch, but I can barely detect any hop aroma.

Good malt profile and bitterness though. Weird.

I did a search on this beer and found this so I am going to bump it to give my opinion.

I bought a six pack last Friday and I have to say a sip or two is fine for me but eventually the bitter hop flavor becomes too much for me. I found myself needing to keep picking at cheese from the fridge or something. I am not a big IPA fan to begin with though. I also think the next day I could still taste it, weird. I will say though with the high ABV it does calm me down pretty quick after a stressful day at work which is a plus.

I've done about 7 all grain batches now and this one is the best yet.

This was fly sparged and put a total of 6 gallons into (2) 4gal carboys for 2 weeks, then dry hopped in 6gal carboy for another week.

2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

I just brewed the AHS Torpedo mini-mash on Sunday. The closet that the ferment bucket is in smells great.

IMO, you can not make this clone without the Citra, for those people saying it not around right now, are you talking about whole hops, because there are plenty of Citra pellets out there, I just got 6 oz in the mail yesterday. ?
I love this brew, right up there with Ranger for an everyday IPA for me, at least what I have access to right now. I do not get the grassy taste at all, I think it gets even better at about 40-45 degrees in a nice glass, killer aroma and flavor. definately on my list of to brew..

Latest posts

Back