Wireless thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
It looks like I will be needing to keep my fermentation vessel sitting in a cooler in a closet. I have to check in on the temperature of the water in the cooler regularly to make sure it doesn't need any cooling down. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a wireless probe thermometer so I could leave the base on my desk and not have to walk over and check it. Also, it would be nice if it was a dual probe thermometer so I could drop one in the carboy and leave one in the water to make sure the yeast doesn't get too hot during fermentation (unless there is a better solution someone can recommend).

I did some searching and there isn't much on wireless thermometers. I would prefer something that I could calibrate as I have a very nice and accurate candy thermometer I could use as a reference.

I wouldn't worry about the water being much different in temperature than the fermenting wort, water and glass are great conductors of heat compared to air.

Not wireless but with a long wire. I use it on 2 primaries inside the cooler.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/3-wired-digital-thermometer-82194/

I need something that I can submerge in liquid. Those seem to be weather thermometers.

I wouldn't worry about the water being much different in temperature than the fermenting wort, water and glass are great conductors of heat compared to air.

I use better bottles, but that shouldn't matter too much. I just need to find a nice wireless model with a single probe then. Thanks!

Here's a
dual-probe remote thermometer that works well. I use one for BBQ but you may be able to use it for brewing.

That said, I agree with what conpewter said...not much difference.

Cheers!

I need something that I can submerge in liquid. Those seem to be weather thermometers.

I use better bottles, but that shouldn't matter too much. I just need to find a nice wireless model with a single probe then. Thanks!

I keep my submerged in water, I taped it with a few layers of tape and its good.

I use an outdoor thermometer with a wire that is supposed to go out a window or something. I just drop the probe in the water. I've been doing this for years with no issues.

Linc

Check out this link if you're concerned- diy-submersible-temperature-probe. This setup is for DIY sensors for controllers, but you can apply the same water proofing idea. You may need to test and check for variance in your reading and adjust.

Back