Quick Disconnects: Plastic? Brass? SS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordie

Reaction score
I've decide to QD my rig.

Plastic sounds like a good idea when you thing about hot liquids and stuff but my gut says go Stainless. Thoughts? Opinions? Disaster anecdotes?

Also - what's the best place to get QDs? I've noticed a pretty substantial price difference between websites.

Gordie

The price difference seems to be about $10 per set for the SS over the plastic (at least at B3), so I guess it depends on how many sets you need. At work, I work with both types, and I definitely prefer the SS. The plastic takes a bit more muscle, can get a bit hard to work with, not as easy to one handed disconnect. If you can afford it, I would simply go with the SS. They look better too!

I just saw the other day Mc master carr has plastic QDs that will handle 212 degF and are food grade. and there CHEEP I spent 50+ each set of the stainless QDs ( I love them dont get me wrong) but these are super cheep like 12 bones a set. I will go to there site and try to get you a link
JJ

drez77 said:
I have the brass ones you can get at McMaster and talked about here http://brewing.schmidt-house.com/QDs_hose.htm I have had nothing but good luck with them and they are cheap. $1.75 for the male and $6.01 for the female.

Mike

I use the same ones and for the price I'm happy.

Only two things I don't like is that they can get hot and that they don't have an auto shut off built in, but that is expected considering the price.

Right on. That sounds like it'll do the trick.

What about auto shut offs? Good idea or no?

Gordie

+1 for the brass QD from mcmaster. All my connections already have a full port valve, so an auto shutoff would be redundant.

EDIT: Also the lack of an auto shutoff makes flushing the lines/ports easier.

Groovy. I'll be ordering in the morning. My plan is to throw male connects on all the "things" (like in the link) including MLT, HLT, BK and pump as well as my fly sparge to make recirculations and sparging easier and then females on each side of 5'-6' sections of high temp tubing.

Pretty much exactly what the wise and knowledgable brew god in the link did...

Thanks for all the input!

Gordie

Chimone said:
thank you so much

placing an order now

*edit...

these say zinc plated steel. Is that ok to use?

I just looked at McMaster again and they say material yellow brass. I know the ones I bought are 100% brass. I just pickled them per Palmer's instructions in his book. Where are you seeing zinc plated steel?

Don't buy the zinc plated steel to use with wort, it will rust it in pretty short order (remember those screws on stainless steel hose clamps? yep zinc plated steel)

Go for the yellow brass, wear gloves when disconnecting from something hot

conpewter said:
Go for the yellow brass, wear gloves when disconnecting from something hot

One of my club members suggested putting silicone "sleeves" on the females to insulate. I thought this was a fantastic idea to combat the heat. I'd imagine a couple feet of hose would give you all the sleeves you could use.

Doc Thirst said:
One of my club members suggested putting silicone "sleeves" on the females to insulate. I thought this was a fantastic idea to combat the heat. I'd imagine a couple feet of hose would give you all the sleeves you could use.

I like that idea. I am going to have to look into that and give it a try.

Mike

Back