Chest Freezer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few month old chest freezer converted to a keezer. (Johnson Temp. Controller). It is 50° even though the Controller is set at 40°. The odd thing is that it is cycling like normal.
I will unplug the Temp controller right now and see if I can isolate whether it is the freezer or controller. (Just typing this out I am thinking that it is the controller).

Cheers!!! :mug:

I was thinking of what I have changed recently. I inserted the probe end of the controller into a glass of water. In hopes that it would make the freezer cycle less. Any chance this would make the controller read incorrectly?

My johnson (sorry) controller always seems to be 10*F higher than the freezer...I just keep that in mind when adjusting the controller.

I never trust the controller dial.

I placed my controller probe and digital thermometer probe together in the bottom of the keezer. When my digital probe read my desired temp, I turned the dial slightly to shut off the controller.

Them I kept the therm probe in there for a few days to make sure I didn’t need to tweak it any further.

Chest freezers do not cycle much when used as keggers, I've got one running as a kegger and one as a freezer & the kegger cycles about 1/2 to 1/5th as often depending on the brewery temperature. I'd take the probe out of the glass of water and trust the thermometer, not the controller.

What ever is the problem it is the controller. When I unplugged it the temp. in the freezer dropped about 10° in about 15-20 min.

The odd thing is that when I first set up the keezer the dial was relatively accurate. Now it is about 10° off.

At any rate I plugged it back up, removed the water, and dropped the dial about 10°.

Is your probe the solid kind (bubble at the end of a tube) or a shiney tip on the end of a grey wire? The former is ok in water, the latter is not.

The other problem I found was that with the water in the keezer, I was getting a ton of condensation and mold started growing, cleaned that up, got rid of the water, and put in a tub of damprid.

Back