How much $$/lb. is a good price for grain??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Take a typical 2-row, how much is a good price per pound, like in bulk?

I want to go all-grain, but need so much stuff. Bulk grain would be one thing on the list.

Thanks!!

My LHBS sells pale 2 row for 1.05 per lb and 10% less if you buy more than ten lbs and 30% off if you buy a 50 lb sack I think it is like 36 or 37 bucks which seems pretty fair to me. Hope that helps.:mug:

My LHBS sells pale 2 row for 1.05 per lb and 10% less if you buy more than ten lbs and 30% off if you buy a 50 lb sack I think it is like 36 or 37 bucks which seems pretty fair to me. Hope that helps.:mug:

That is dirt cheap. The cheapest I can get grain is 1.50/lb while the highest here is 2.50. 2.50!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to drive to Charleston to get the 1.50. My go to store is 1.90/lb and 50 lb bags are 60 bucks. If I were paying your prices, I would be brewing MUCH more often.

My LHBS sells a 55# sack of breiss 2-row for ~$1/lb. If you get in on group buys you can often get it for about 1/3 that.

This depends on where you live. If you have LHBS's I would call and ask. Then investigate homebrew clubs in your area. Homebrew clubs usually do a group buy a couple times per year to drive the cost down even further. My LHBS can't touch group buy prices of around .80 cents per pound. Check the group buy forum for lots of info.:)

One of my LHBS sells a 50# sack of Rahr 2-row for 43.95. My go-to store, a nanobrewery with a hit-and-miss supply store portion, would probably be a few bucks less (I am on the brink of going all-grain BIAB and haven't asked yet, his cost plus $5).

My LHBS sells Rahr two row for $1.39 a pound in small quantities, $42.00 for a 50 pound sack, which comes to $0.84 a pound in bulk. I also get a 10% discount through my home brew club, so I pay $37.80 for a 50 pound bag = $0.76 a pound before tax.

Breiss two row is $51.00 for a 50 pound bag.

You can buy Chinese two row by the ton for $500.00 with a minimum order of 50 tons. That comes out to $0.25 a pound :) It probably comes with some wicked Chinese ninja weavels, though, and I doubt my SWMBO would let me erect a grain silo in the back yard!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/876019774/2_row_barley_malt.html

$35.50/50lbs is what I've been paying for GWM 2-Row. $0.71/lb.

Crystal and Roast malts are more expensive per lb and so are imported grains; but bulk is usually cheaper than buying it by the pound from LHBS grain bin.

Where might that be? That is cheap.

GWM = Great Western Malting two-row is always much cheaper than Rahr and Briess. I've used all three, and can't really tell the difference.

All grain does not need to that difficult. You can convert just about any cooler inexpensively, BIAB w/ a simple paint strainer or make a bag.

Don't overthink it!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ten-minute-cooler-mash-tun-conversion-125108/

thank you for that link, I do plan to use that particular method if not for my next brew section, then the next. My local brew store sells Canadian 2-Row for $55/50# sack. I am looking into other sources. If anyone has a lead for the Winston/Salem area of North Carolina, I am new to the area and could sure use the assistance.

IME, anything under $1 a lb is fairly reasonable for bulk pricing at a LHBS. These prices guys are posting of $32 a sack are really outstanding, and not the norm, at least in my area! Shipping plays a part.

Our group buys have recently taken a hit, as North Country Malt will no longer sell to end users...after shipping we were at mid thirties, now we are above $40 for base grains, bulk purchase to a LHBS and happy to get it.

IME, anything under $1 a lb is fairly reasonable for bulk pricing at a LHBS. These prices guys are posting of $32 a sack are really outstanding, and not the norm, at least in my area! Shipping plays a part.

Our group buys have recently taken a hit, as North Country Malt will no longer sell to end users...after shipping we were at mid thirties, now we are above $40 for base grains, bulk purchase to a LHBS and happy to get it.

my brew store is a wholesaler who decided to open a retail shop in the front of their warehouse since so many people were banging on the back door asking to buy sacks of grain. they do zero advertising so as not to piss off their main customers, all of the brew stores in this area. they give some pretty good discounts on grain but are way out of line in price for any brewing hardware and hops so i buy those items elsewhere.

eastoak said:
i pay $32 for a sack of Breiss or Great Western at my store in san leandro.

That's cheaper than morebeer. I may have to stop by San Leandro!

wilserbrewer said:

That's not entirely true. Country Malt Group actually has a home brewer pricing structure now. They won't sell at wholesale prices to anyone who does not have a brewers license anymore. There were multiple threads on it during the winter.

In the Vancouver area we can get most baemalts for around 37.00/ 55 lb bag. Gambrinus, a local maltster, produces a nice ESB malt similar to Marris Otter which can also be purchased locally for I believe 37.00/ 55lb bag.

Here in VA beach area, briese 2-row brewers
Malt is $49 for 50# sack at my LHBS. I don't mind paying $1/ pound for base malt (sucks paying $2.35/# for specialty though).

The cool part is they come out with Groupons ( usually $20 for $40 worth of stuff) a few times a year and it's not restricted so I wait for those and get it for a net $39 for 50# bag. I love that.

Now I don't have a Northern Brewer down the street so <$1/ pound is enough to make me happy.

Edit: ....Math much? Der .....uuuuhhhh ; Net $29/50#.

Thanks eastoak...I guess I missed that.

Well the shipping would bust that deal...hahaha

Different economy half a world away makes all the difference:)

Indeed. But if you visit on holiday you can save a ton on Saaz and other Czech hops. That's assuming you can convince customs it is hops and not that closely related other green substance...

Back