Beersmith - eff% question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I bought a new computer so I finally got Beersmith 2.0 instead of 1.4

I am understanding most pf the differences and am enjoying them. My questions is this:

I have always gotten around 70% eff with my system per Beersmith 1.4. Is that the "mash eff" or "brewhouse eff" on 2.0? On my last brew, one if 77% and the the other was 88%, so neither was what I expected. How can I relate the old software to the new on that?

Hopefully someone with more detailed knowledge of Beersmith will follow-up, but try to answer you somewhat. When entering a recipe in Beersmith, the efficiency you enter is your brewhouse, not your mash. Under the mash tab when in a recipe, there is an area in the bottom right where you put your pre-boil volume and gravity and that then gives you your mash efficiency. Under the fermentation tab in a recipe, you enter your "into the fermenter" volume and gravity and it gives you your achieved brewhouse eff.

Mash eff is usually higher than brewhouse. For example last brewday my recipe estimated 70% brewhouse eff, my mash eff hit 82% (which is low, sometimes I hit 90%) and my actual brewhouse was almost spot on at 69.1%.

Mash efficiency measures the percentage of sugar you extracted from the grain. The other is your efficiency for the whole brew session with your equipment, materials and process after boil off, trub loss, etc.

Back