Corn Sugar & DME in Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerIguana

Reaction score
I'm about to make a 1 gal starter and I usually add about 12 oz of DME to it. I just realized all I have is about 8oz. Would it be ok adding 4 oz of Corn Sugar to get the gravity up? I'm brewing 10 gal IPA with gravity at about 1.070.

I've never tried it, but I'm told that putting simple sugars in a starter could negatively affect the yeast's ability to digest the more complex sugars in wort.

I would make a low gravity starter without the sugar. Giving the yeast simple sugar too early will make them less hungry. I heard another poster here describe it as giving kids desert before dinner. Good luck getting them to eat the green beans after they finish the ice cream!

Seems like your going a little light on your dme for starters to begin with. I usually add 13.5 oz for a 3L starter and ive read that some do up to 15oz for a 3L.

Without proper nutrients, yeast will not "grow" with just corn sugar. You can try adding additional yeast nutrient, but I am not sure how this will react with your expected yeast growth in a starter. I think you would be better off making healthy yeast with a 2L starter or waiting till you have enough yeast to pitch.

Back