First annual "MA-VA-lous Brewfest"!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This Saturday!

The_bird and family are heading down this way Friday--we are going to start "festing" Friday night, with a nice brew session on Saturday and then some additional (and hardcore) festing on Saturday night.

I open the invitation to anyone else who wants to trek over here Saturday. Plans for this didn't really become "solid" until about 2 weeks ago so I'm sorry for the short notice, but the invite is out there anyway.

I'm putting a Boston Butt on the smoker (and finishing with Brewtopia's now famous Naked Spur Smoked Porter Beer-B-Q Sauce) Saturday morning and then hopefully we can get brewing well before lunch. Then the rest of Saturday evening is reserved for "Bratwursts and Shillelaghs" and sampling of some fine BBQ with some most excellent commercial and home brews. I can't wait!

We'll have the webcam going--shoot me an IM to korrea4 at yahoo dot com if you want access Saturday during the brew and sampling festivities!

Dude said:
Undecided as of now. I think I'm going to try to talk him into a big citrusey IPA. :rockin:

Oh the smell of Cascade and or Centennial hops in the brew pot! And also the smell of great bar-b-que on the grill! Sounds great Dude! Have a great fourth gents!

Sorry bout that...we'll hopefully be more alert tonight. ;)

We are into the brewday right now...bird came up with a great idea last night to do a big Russian Imperial Stout...so we did up a killer recipe this morning and mashed in at 10:45. Dead nuts on the mash temp and now we are trying to stay out of the oppressive heat. :D

Also got a Boston Butt on the smoker...can't wait!!!!

Got to tell you folks - Bratwursts & Shillelaghs is un-freakin'-believable. We've got a big honkin' Russian Imp Stout boiling, the pork butt is smokin', and life is G-U-D good. This beer is gonna kick some major ass; recipe will follow.

Missed our target efficiency by a little, so this is ending up as almost a 3 hour boil. Oh well....still having a freaking blast!

It is HOT outside....

Sounds like a great time guys, sorry I missed out. I'm assuming that you polished off the Pliny? :) And how did that pork butt turn out?

A sincere THANK YOU to Dude and Mrs. Dude for their most excellent hospitality. We're home, safe and sound, after a huge amount of driving. F*ck global warming, my vacation was driving 1,700 miles!

Great times, B&S is far, far, FAR more impressive than you can possibly imagine from just viewing pictures. Dude, you got some pics of that motor oil we were boiling? Hell, we forgot to take pics of that freakin' pork butt...

4050-763600635_83bffa0345.jpg

the_bird said:

LOL.....

Was a very fun weekend--Saturday kicked my ass though. Thanks for making it down this way, I had a freaking blast.

Thanks for the assistance on Saturday, juggling that brew and that smoker sure kept us busy! Both turned out well--I'd have like that butt to cook for another couple of hours, but it was pretty good. The Naked Spur sauce was a great finish.

The brew is still fermenting away, and looking as black as motor oil. I'll have to get the recipe posted.

That really was a lot of fun. We'll be down in the DC area once a year, it looks like. The BIL looks like he's going to be in DC for the foreseeable future (his woman's just starting grad school at the U of Maryland), and our other friends who we never get to see just bought a house in the area. We'll have to co-ordinate it better next time so that maybe the NC boys can make their way up, too.

For all the freakin' trouble it proved to be, that was a DAMN nice pork butt!

Back