Dry hop question for my American Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Although BJCP says low to moderate hop aroma for an AAA, mine seems to be missing on the aroma side.

I just kegged it, and it tastes great....I've brewed it to style for a competition...but it's lacking aroma. I don't want to over do it and turn it into a West Coast version of an AAA.

I brewed it with Simcoe and Amarillo hops....

I'm leaning on dryhopping with Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus, Citra, Mt. Hood or Willamette. I'm leaning more towards the Citra.

AMARILLO 11.2%
CITRA 12%
COLUMBUS 12.6%
MT. HOOD 5.9%
SIMCOE 12.7%
WILLAMETTE 5.2%

Any thoughts or suggestions for what hops....how much...or for how long would be appreciated.

I like to dry hop with about 1.5 - 2.25 for a 5 gallon recipe. On the lower end, you get a decent hop aroma, but, in my opinion, nothing overwhelming. I bet as an amber, your brew could take 1.5, maybe even a little more, and not get anything near a west coast amber. I find I need at least 1.25 to notice a significant difference.

Personally, I've had great experienced with Columbus, Amarillo, and Centennial for dryhopping. Centennial might be nice because it's in the same zipcode as Amarillo, but different enough to bring it's own flavor to the party.

Anyway. Good luck with the competition.

Latest posts

Back