keezer/fermentation chamber in one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith_Mahoney

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Would it be feasible to purchase only one chest freezer, a brew-belt and a Ranco two stage controller in order to ferment in the freezer set at serving temps?
I could imagine building a little chamber inside the freezer made of some insulation.

I would like to know if this is feasible, if anyone has done this and what some cons would be.

Cons - increased electricity use. Only one fermenter going at a time.

I have been turning this over in my mind. I thought about what you suggested first, but was thinking it wouldnt be very efficient, just a constant circle of heating and cooling.

Then i started looking at building a keezer with a set of cabinets on top to ferment in. A computer fan to blow the colder air up when the temp gets too high.

I've seen some folks build a chamber (about 3feet tall) above the chest freezer with a door big enough to get kegs in and out. A pvc tube with fan pumps cold air from the very bottom of freezer to the top chamber. No heating was needed. it seemed to work just fine.

A friend and I have just completed this. A 20 cu ft chest freezer was used, a insulated box was was made over the compressor hump side for the fermenter side. Its large enough for 2 ale pales to ferment lagers in. The other side can fit either 6 or 7 kegs, I forget. There is a small space heater in the lager side that runs about 7 minutes per hour (it takes a while to actually start blowing hot air). The keezer side runs 3 minutes every hour. We will be making a build thread soon, i'll repost the link here when we get around to that.

A friend and I have just completed this. A 20 cu ft chest freezer was used, a insulated box was was made over the compressor hump side for the fermenter side. Its large enough for 2 ale pales to ferment lagers in. The other side can fit either 6 or 7 kegs, I forget. There is a small space heater in the lager side that runs about 7 minutes per hour (it takes a while to actually start blowing hot air). The keezer side runs 3 minutes every hour. We will be making a build thread soon, i'll repost the link here when we get around to that.

Sounds interesting. I will be waiting for the link. I will not be buying anything until I move this summer.

Then i started looking at building a keezer with a set of cabinets on top to ferment in. A computer fan to blow the colder air up when the temp gets too high.

I like this idea! If you could isolate the fermentation chamber enough from the colder keezer this could really work.

Latest posts

Back