Sunset Wheat Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayder10

Reaction score
Okay guys and gals,

I Noticed that the blueberry said 2 tablespoons at bottling it should have been 4 tablespoons of Blueberry, so I fixed it in the receipe.

Sorry.

Sunset wheat is one of the beers my wife loves, so I had to try to make it.
After 5 or 6 batches I feel that this recipe is pretty close and very nice tasting wheat beer.

Malt:
5 lbs 2-row malt
4 lb White Wheat Malt

Hops:

1 oz Cluster

Boil: Total boil 60 min.

.50 ounces Cluster Hops - Full boil

At 50 min (Last 10 min of boil) add the following:

.50 ounces Cluster Hops (10 min)
1/2 oz Sweet orange last (10 min)
1/2 oz.-crushed coriander seeds (10 min)

Yeast:

Dry Wheat - safbrew WB-06 or T-58 - I like the results with the WB-06

1 tsp of Orange extract in secondary after 2 days
1 tablespoon of Blueberry extract in secondary after 3 days.

At Bottling:

1 tablespoons of Orange extract
2 tablespoons of Apricot extract
4 tablespoons of Blueberry extract

The flavors and noted but not over powering at all.

Enjoy

Crazy Ray's Bathtub brew
Sun Sweet Wheat

I was wondering how to get the fruity pebbles flavor into that beer. I thought about trying a clone of Sunset but decided to wait until the summer. Have you varied the fermentation temperature at all. I was thinking that some of the fruitiness should come from the yeast as well as some flavor additions.

I tried 5 different yeasts, I found that the 2 stated work the best and I fermented 67 - 70 degrees in primary and tried to stay under 65 degrees in secondary. All the blogs I found on Sunset Wheat where pretty much useless so I started experimenting. I Promise try you will like it.
I have only brewed about 250 gallons or so but I am a cook and am pretty good with picking out tastes, this hits the spot. bye the way this is a 4.5 gallon recipe.
Thanks,

Ray

Leinekugels only does lagers, so it's interesting that you're using and ale yeast. I'm also surprised at the Apricot extract in this recipe.
But if this tastes good, who am I to argue?

I understand regarding the lager yeast, It's all trial in error for me and if the results get close great! it's all in the fun of brewing, some great batches and some not so great, exact? no but pretty good.
I will have to try lagering, seeing that I have only brewed ales so far.

Bottled:

Vanilla Oatmeal Stout
Sun Sweet Wheat
Spiced Double Wheat
Hoe n the garden Wit

Leinekugel uses a lager yeast for this beer, most (all?) lager yeasts are all about clear beer; does that mean the haze is artificially induced or does the wheat malt add enough to produce the cloudy appearance?

Okay guys and gals,

I Noticed that the blueberry said 2 tablespoons at bottling it should have been 4 tablespoons of Blueberry, so I fixed it in the receipe.

Sorry.

After 5 or 6 batches I feel that this recipe is pretty close and very nice tasting wheat beer.

Malt:
5 lbs 2-row malt
4 lb White Wheat Malt

Hops:

1 oz Cluster

Yeast:

At Bottling:

Enjoy

Crazy Ray's Bathtub brew
Sun Sweet Wheat

Where can you get the: 1/2 oz Sweet orange?
Is that extract?

I love sunset wheat!!! I'm going to try this recipe this weekend!!

Forgive me if my question is very beginner but this is a all-grain recipe right?
The other 3 beers I have made have been partials with grains and liquid malt extract.

If it is an all-grain, then the wort is the entire 4.5 gallons? Not like the partials where its 2.5 - 3 gallon of boiled wort and then when the yeast gets added the rest of the water does too.

Am I understanding this right?

Could anyone recommend a mash schedule for this recipe? I have never done an all grain wheat beer before, and currently I have only done single mash infusions. Just from reading other posts, it seems most recipe’s using this amount of wheat would benefit from a stepped mash process. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd recommend using S-05 yeast at 65-67 degrees. I'd mash 152-153 for 75 min and make adjustments for a 90 min boil. Ive had good results with wheat beers done with s-05. It however it wont be cloudy unless you toss in a tablespoon of flour at 10 min to end of boil. You really do not need the stepped infusions.

surprisingly complicated but interesting. I don't really care for the beer because...i don't know maybe just too much fruitiness. but nice write up

Please let me know if my logic is flawed. Could I not just mash in and rest at 123F for 20 to 30 minutes in my brew pot, preheat my MT, raise the heat of the grains to 153, dump them into my cooler adjust temp with hot water and hold for 75 minutes? I am using a 10 gallon cooler with a hose braid and I have not had any problems with a stuck sparge.

I'd recommend using S-05 yeast at 65-67 degrees. I'd mash 152-153 for 75 min and make adjustments for a 90 min boil. Ive had good results with wheat beers done with s-05. It however it wont be cloudy unless you toss in a tablespoon of flour at 10 min to end of boil. You really do not need the stepped infusions.

I have a couple of questions here. Why S-05 over a hefeweizen yeast? The hefeweizen yeast will bring the cloudiness that you are looking for without the flour. Also, why so long on the mash and boil? I would think at 152-153 you will get pretty full conversion after 1 hour. As for the boil, the malts in the recipe should not be a concern for DMS precursors, unless I am missing something. That's generally why I have done a 90 minute boil in the past. I'm just not sure you need it here.

Please let me know if my logic is flawed. Could I not just mash in and rest at 123F for 20 to 30 minutes in my brew pot, preheat my MT, raise the heat of the grains to 153, dump them into my cooler adjust temp with hot water and hold for 75 minutes? I am using a 10 gallon cooler with a hose braid and I have not had any problems with a stuck sparge.

This seems like a lot of work to go through, perhaps unnecessarily. The grain bill for this beer is fairly simple and I don't think you necessarily need to do a protein rest here. You could do it as simply as adding the strike water to the grain to achieve the 153F mash temperature for the saccharification rest. Hold that for 60 minutes (75 if you feel you want to leave it longer, although in my previous post I state that I don't feel it is necessary), and then sparge.

If you really want to do a stepped mash, you could plan for the protein rest with a lower water to grist ratio like 1 qt/1 pound and then add hot, maybe even boiling, water after 20 minutes or so to bring the mash up to the 153F. That saves quite a bit of hassle of moving the mash from your boil kettle to the mash tun.

I have a couple of questions here. Why S-05 over a hefeweizen yeast? The hefeweizen yeast will bring the cloudiness that you are looking for without the flour. Also, why so long on the mash and boil? I would think at 152-153 you will get pretty full conversion after 1 hour. As for the boil, the malts in the recipe should not be a concern for DMS precursors, unless I am missing something. That's generally why I have done a 90 minute boil in the past. I'm just not sure you need it here.

I was thinking that this was an American Wheat style like Widmer with a cleaner yeast profile, which the S-05 works well for that. Try it sometime with your wheats if you havent already. I do really enjoy the Bavarian hefe yeasts also. The flour thing was just for a visual and not needed at all. I tend to get better efficiency with the slightly longer mash times when using wheat. I might have to do it again at 60 min because it might have been due to my new malt milling technique. I boil my wheats for 90 min only because it was suggested in Jamil's BCS book. Jamil is the man! I've had great results with his recipes. Definetly a good reference book for developing personal brews. :mug:

I was thinking that this was an American Wheat style like Widmer with a cleaner yeast profile, which the S-05 works well for that. Try it sometime with your wheats if you havent already. I do really enjoy the Bavarian hefe yeasts also. The flour thing was just for a visual and not needed at all. I tend to get better efficiency with the slightly longer mash times when using wheat. I might have to do it again at 60 min because it might have been due to my new malt milling technique. I boil my wheats for 90 min only because it was suggested in Jamil's BCS book. Jamil is the man! I've had great results with his recipes. Definetly a good reference book for developing personal brews. :mug:

I gotcha on the American Wheat style. I see how you would want to add the flour to get back the cloudiness there. Given all of the other fruit in this beer, bananas from the bavarian yeast may go well. Another move might be to ferment the bavarian wheat yeast at low temperatures, say 62F. You won't get as many esters but will keep the low floculation of the yeast.

You will get slightly better efficiency when mashing for a longer time, but that shouldn't be necessary for a wort created at the higher temperatures. If I am mashing at anywhere from 151 down, I will let it go for 75 or even 90 minutes to get the sugars to convert.

As for the longer boil. Jamil's book uses pilsner malt as the base, where this recipe uses regular 2-row. I'm fairly certain that its the pilsner malt that will contribute the DMS precursors and require the 90 minute boil go get them to vaporize. If I do a beer with pilsner, vienna, or munich malts, I will usually do a 90 minute boil. I've never applied the same rule to wheat malt, but perhaps I should?

:mug:

I recently brewed a Sunset Wheat Clone (not this recipe) using lager yeast. I will be tasting it around the middle of April when it finishes lagering. I am not planning on using any orange peel and am going to use 2 oz of blueberry extract.

What advice would you provide a newbie who is a diehard Sunset Wheat fan on converting this to an extract recipe? I'm not ready for the step into all-grain yet.

Also, I see a few posts about using this recipe but switching out a lager yeast or a hefeweizen yeast, any recommendations you could shoot me as far as that goes that would be awesome as well.

- Thanks in advance,

K.

Does anybody have any updates for this recipe? My wife likes sunset wheat and I would like to make it for her.

I recently brewed a Sunset Wheat Clone (not this recipe) using lager yeast. I will be tasting it around the middle of April when it finishes lagering. I am not planning on using any orange peel and am going to use 2 oz of blueberry extract.

How did this come out? Been thinking about a wheat lager.....

Question: When adding Orange Extract 2 days into Secondary you call for 1 teaspoon of Orange Extract. With all the other extracts you are calling for TABLEspoons. Is this 1 teaspoon correct or should it be a tablespoon?

Okay guys and gals,

Sorry.

Malt:
5 lbs 2-row malt
4 lb White Wheat Malt

Hops:

1 oz Cluster

Yeast:

At Bottling:

Enjoy

Crazy Ray's Bathtub brew
Sun Sweet Wheat

Okay guys and gals,

Sorry.

Malt:
5 lbs 2-row malt
4 lb White Wheat Malt

Hops:

1 oz Cluster

Yeast:

At Bottling:

Enjoy

Crazy Ray's Bathtub brew
Sun Sweet Wheat
sweet orange ???? what is that ?

Back