Anyone have recipes for pears?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsocc

Reaction score
I have a bunch of pear trees that should yield more pears that I know what to do with. Do any of you have any experience with pear wine or anything like that?

Thanks guys!

How about this: Crush the pears (skin and all) and clear the (pasteurized) juice with pectic enzyme. Boil down the resultant clear juice to achieve a potential ABV of 12%, add only a small amount of DAP and use something like champagne yeast to ferment it dry. Then bottle it when perfectly clear and leave to age for about a year.

I just came up with this and frankly I think it sounds nice! I'm going to buy me some pears right now!

Nerro -

Why not just boost the original SG by adding sugar!

Do pears present a special problem, that other fruits don't, when wanting to increase the ABV?

It seems to me that enough heat to boil the juice would risk affecting it's flavor/taste.

Do you see an advantage to obtaining a desired potential ABV, by reducing the volumn of juice via heat, that's worth the effort and the risk?

Cheers,

Pogo

Here's one that I made almost 2 years ago that is still bulk-aging - it's not perry and it's not pear wine, but it is a Pear Mead!:

10/01/2006 – Pear Mead

I purchased 28 pounds of pears at a local Farmer's Market and decided to make a pear mead from them .....

Here is the ingredient list:

• 28 pounds of peeled and cored Bartlett pears
• 18 pounds of RAW UNPROCESSED Wildflower honey
• 1 ½ teaspoons chestnut tannin
• 1 teaspoon of Fermaid K (+ 1 teaspoon on day 3 – Wednesday)
• 6 teaspoons of Pectin Enzyme
• Juice of 6 lemons
• 25 grams of Lalvin D47 yeast
• Water to 6 gallons

Procedure / process:

1. Used my 15 gallon plastic fermenter for this one.
2. Measured out 18 pounds of honey and about 2 gallons warm water.
3. Added tannin and Fermaid K.
4. Mixed the hell out of the water / honey with my lees stirrer.
5. Peeled and cored the pears.
6. Vita-Mixed them to a puree
7. Added puree to honey / water mix
8. Periodically aerated / stirred with my lees stirrer as more pears were added.
9. Rehydrated yeast with ¼ teaspoon of GoFerm
10. Used my air pump and aeration stone for about 30 minutes.
11. Pitched yeast

Fermentation was noted after about 2 hours. I will punch down the cap and aerate in the AM and PM through Thursday, October 05. Stay tuned. OG = 28 Brix

10/04/2006 – Added another teaspoon of Fermaid K to the must. I have been aerating with my stone and stirring twice a day since Monday morning. This evening will be the last time for doing that, but I will continue to gently shake the fermenter twice a day to keep the yeast in suspension throughout the entire fermentation period – both primary and secondary. Stay tuned. SG = 21 Brix

10/10/2006 – Brix = 16.0

10/15/2006 – Transferred to 6 ½ gallon glass carboy. SG = 12.0 Brix. I will continue to slowly swirl the must twice a day until fermentation is complete. Stay tuned for additional updates.

11/13/2006 – Have continued to swirl periodically, and although fermentation appears to be complete, I’ll hold off a bit before racking. SG = 12 Brix - Stay tuned.

11/26/2006 – Racked into a cheesecloth and then into a 5 gallon carboy. Lost about 1.5 gallons of pureed pears.

12/30/2006 – Racked into a 3 gallon carboy and 1 gallon jug.

04/28/2007 – Racked into a 3 gallon carboy into which was added 1.5 ounces of medium toast Hungarian oak.

11/04/2007 – Racked this one off the oak and into a clean and sanitized 3 gallon carboy. Took a sample – it is starting to develop some complexity and the plan at this point is to continue bulk aging. Stay tuned.

08/19/2008 - Flavor-wise, the pear definitely dominates the palate on this one. The honey is there, but it certainly does not overpower the pear. If anything, the pear dominates the honey, but not to the point that you cannot detect the honey. Infinitely improved since last tasted.

- GL63

I said to boil the juice down because I doubt pears give off much flavor by themselves. Adding sugar doesnt change that. Boiling it down gently, should increase the concentration of flavorful ingredients and as such it might improve the taste.

As for the unrational fear of heat people here seem to have; if a juice is heated to ~80C (which is around 175F) and stirred well the evaporation of water should be considerable while all the heavier molecules should probably stick around.

Just as an experiment I've boiled down a chili-extract in alcohol like this once. Worked perfectly, I was literally crying when I tasted it :p Now I realise alcohol isnt water but I stand by my hypothesis.

Boiling 'set' the pectin, making them molecules attach to one another. That's why jams and jellies are so viscous. My understanding is you don't want that for a wine, yet I've seen recipes calling for it. I would do a small scale test first.

Latest posts

Back